Calculating Air Resistance for a 5kg Rock Falling at 7m/s2

In summary: You could also do it the other way by saying that ma = mg - R, in which case R would have a negative sign, but the magnitude (size) would be the same.In summary, the net force on the rock is 35N downward, which is equal to the force of gravity (49.05N) minus the force of air resistance (14N). This means that the force of air resistance acting on the rock is 14N upward.
mike2007
A 5kg rock falls with an acceleration of 7m/s2. What is the magnitude of the force of air resistance acting on the rock at this instant?

Physics news on Phys.org
First identify all the forces acting on the rock, then apply Newton's 2nd law.

this is what i did so far but i do not know how to get the air resistance.
F = ma
m = 5kg
a = 7m/s
F= 35N
Is that gravitational acceleration? and how do i get air resistance

the only two forces are acceleration due to gravity which is 9.8m/s downdard and air resistance which is ?

No, that's not gravitational acceleration--the acceleration due to gravity (g) is 9.8 m/s^2 downward.

What you've done--whether you realize it or not--is apply Newton's 2nd law to calculate the net force on the rock. Now you have to identify the individual forces that act on the rock. Air resistance is one of those forces; what's the other?

mike2007 said:
the only two forces are acceleration due to gravity which is 9.8m/s downdard and air resistance which is ?
Let's phrase that more precisely: There are two forces acting on the rock:
(1) gravity, which acts down; what's that equal to?
(2) air resistance; which way does that force act?

Now set up an equation adding these two forces to get the net force, then solve for the force of air resistance. Remember: direction, and thus signs, matter!

Ok i see. Here goes
Net force = 35N
gravitational force
F= ma
= 5*9.81
=49.05N

air resistance = 49.05-35
= 14.05N upward
?? am i even more lost now?

You have it exactly right.

I recommend that for problems like this you draw yourself a diagram showing all the forces. In this case, you'd have the gravitational force (mg) going down and the air resistance (call it R) going up. Since the net force is ma = 35N down, you would have:

ma = -mg + R
-35N = -49.05N + R

so: R = 49.05N - 35N = 14N

Note that I use negative for down and positive for up.

1. What is air resistance?

Air resistance is a type of frictional force that opposes the motion of an object through the air.

2. How does air resistance affect objects?

Air resistance can slow down the motion of objects by creating drag, which is the force that acts in the opposite direction of an object's motion.

3. What factors affect the amount of air resistance an object experiences?

The amount of air resistance an object experiences depends on its size, shape, speed, and the density of the air around it.

4. How can air resistance be reduced?

Air resistance can be reduced by making an object more streamlined or by increasing its speed.

5. How is air resistance calculated?

Air resistance cannot be calculated precisely, but it can be estimated using mathematical models that take into account the factors that affect it, such as the object's velocity and surface area.