Photon beyond light speed?(?tachyon?)

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of photons being massless particles and the question of what holds them back from surpassing the speed of light. The idea of a coordinate system for photons is also mentioned, but it is noted that there is no inertial reference frame in which a photon is stationary. The conversation ends with a discussion on the limits of the Lorentz transformation and the existence of a limit for the speed of light.
madphysics
This has bothered me for some time. I must be missing something.

Photons, being the massless particles that they are, have no inertia. So what holds them back from surpassing the "speed limit" at moving around with no time lapse. They would be everywhere simaltaneously. Does something hold them back? A hidden effect of dark matter, perhaps?

Evidence gathered tells us it must be otherwise. But why? What can hold back a massless particle?

Interest in the tachyon is up, and it intrigues me. Any help in this area would definitely be helpful.

Physics news on Phys.org
Photons, being the massless particles that they are, have no inertia.
Photons have no REST mass. However, they have energy. In our coordinate system photons travel at the speed of light, but in the coordinate system of the photon, time never changes.

mathman said:
but in the coordinate system of the photon,

Note that there is no inertial reference frame in which a photon is stationary. Therefore your "coordinate system of the photon" must be something entirely different.

jtbell said:
Note that there is no inertial reference frame in which a photon is stationary. Therefore your "coordinate system of the photon" must be something entirely different.

the speed of light is the speed of light for ... light?

Note to jtbell. What I should have said was: In the reference frame of the photon, everything in its direction has collapsed to one point, i.e. space would be 2 dimensional. This analyisis is taking the Lorentz transformation to the limit - the universe is going at the speed of light relative to the photon.

ice109 said:
the speed of light is the speed of light for ... light?
I am not a physicist, but that would be my guess. Also guessing that if this wasn't correct then something else would have to "give" -- e.g. our current understanding of how time works would need to be revised.

Last edited:
Mathman, I think you should really not have said that since it seems worse than your original statement:
mathman said:
Note to jtbell. What I should have said was: In the reference frame of the photon,...
...which still is not very well defined. I don't see any principal problem constructing a coordinate system where the increase of one coordinate let's you wander along the worldline of the photon. However, you are most likely to shoot yourself in the foot at the next best corner due to the self-perpendicularity of the base vector associated to that coordinate and its (pseudo-)magnitude of zero.
Sidenote: I'm not sure if such a system would even satisfy the mathematical requirements on a coordiante system or map. It seems highly unpractical for the reasons stated, at least. Let's just assume such a coordiante system did exist for the following:
... everything in its direction has collapsed to one point ...
That's not correct. Points in (SR-) spacetime (=events) whose connection vector is lightlike (e.g. two events on the worldline of a free massless particle) always have a "distance" of zero. That value is a so-called Lorentz-scalar and independent of the chosen coordinate system. They are still distinct points, also irrespective of the coordinate system (except if it's the same event, irrespective of coordinate system :rofl:). To rephrase: The points which you state collapsed to one single point already had a "distance" of zero before you switched to the coordinate system in which variation of one coordinate wanders along the photon worldline. They are different events nonetheless.

This analyisis is taking the Lorentz transformation to the limit.
That's probably the crux in it. You seem to assume that the limit v->c exists which is not true (which the divergent gamov-factor already is a hint for). The limit of a rational-valued series doesn't have to exist in the rationals and similarly the limit of a parameter-dependent coordiante transformation doesn't have to be a valid coordinate transformation.

1. What is a tachyon?

A tachyon is a hypothetical particle that travels faster than the speed of light. It is a theoretical concept in physics that has not yet been proven to exist.

2. Can a photon travel beyond the speed of light?

No, according to the theory of relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which any particle or object can travel. A photon, which is a massless particle, can only travel at the speed of light and cannot exceed it.

3. What would happen if a tachyon existed?

If tachyons were proven to exist, they would have the ability to travel backwards in time, which would violate the principle of causality. This means that an effect could occur before its cause, leading to paradoxes and contradictions in our understanding of the universe.

4. How do scientists study tachyons?

Since tachyons are a theoretical concept, it is not possible to study them directly. Scientists use mathematical models and theories to explore the properties and behavior of tachyons, but there is currently no experimental evidence to support their existence.

5. Could tachyons be used for faster-than-light travel?

It is currently not possible to use tachyons for faster-than-light travel, as they are purely theoretical. Even if they were proven to exist, their properties and behavior would make it difficult to harness them for practical applications.