Need to compare 1st year science /w 1st year engineering

In summary, engineering mechanics is less involved than first year physics, and the focus is on step-by-step problem solving.
mohdhm
hello everyone,

I've completed my first year at UBC and I have developed a strong interest in transferring into engineering but unfortunately lack the courses to do so at the moment (didn't take chemisty 12 back in high school,hated it). So i have a few questions for you :)

How hard is engineering mechanics compared to calculus-based physics (first year)?

What was the major focus in your programming course? (several kind of loops, arrays, objects, etc)

What was focused on in your chemistry portion of the course? In other words, what topics/chapters were more important (kinetics, 1st law of thermodynamics, equilibrium, etc) ?

Also, If you can somehow provide me with the name of some textbooks that you used, or some of the questions, that would be of great help. I remember looking at my friend's engineering mechanics textbook and i completely freaked out, it was almost like every problem was in 3D and they were much more complex than what we were going though.

I mean we never did crane problems, or cranes with multiple pullies, i wonder what that is like.

Physics news on Phys.org
How hard is engineering mechanics compared to calculus-based physics (first year)?

Id say engineering mechanics is much less involved than first year physics. the topics are straight-forward and based on a step by step problem solving method. the hardest part sometimes is visualizing what is happening in three dimensional situations

What was the major focus in your programming course? (several kind of loops, arrays, objects, etc)

I only had one half of a semester as an introduction to C++. so we touched on the topics you mentioned, and i soon forgot them

What was focused on in your chemistry portion of the course? In other words, what topics/chapters were more important (kinetics, 1st law of thermodynamics, equilibrium, etc) ?

it was equivalent to chem 1 as any other science major would take. reactions, equation balancing, acids bases, etc. thermodynamics will be a separate course if your major calls for it

I wouldn't worry about your situation. i switched to civil engineering after being a math/physics major for a year, and then the next summer i switched to mechanical/math, and it all went smooth

thankyou emrik,

and to leakin99: I've been to that page before but the engineering academic adviser told me that i need an average of 70%... and i hear that she told my friend that he needs a 75% average. She seemed surprised when i pointed out that page to her though, but still stood by her statement. Still appreciate your input.

What is the difference between 1st year science and 1st year engineering?

The main difference between 1st year science and 1st year engineering is the focus of study. In 1st year science, students typically learn about a broad range of scientific topics such as biology, chemistry, and physics. In 1st year engineering, students focus on the fundamentals of engineering, including mathematics, physics, and problem-solving skills specific to engineering fields.

Do 1st year science and 1st year engineering have similar coursework?

While there may be some overlap in coursework, the content and depth of study in 1st year science and 1st year engineering can differ significantly. 1st year science courses tend to cover a wider range of topics, while 1st year engineering courses may focus more on practical applications and problem-solving related to specific engineering disciplines.

Which field, science or engineering, has better job prospects?

Both 1st year science and 1st year engineering can lead to promising career paths. The job prospects for science and engineering fields can vary depending on the specific industry and job market trends. It is important to research and consider your personal interests and strengths when choosing between science and engineering as a major.

Are there any similarities between 1st year science and 1st year engineering?

Yes, there are some similarities between 1st year science and 1st year engineering. Both involve problem-solving, critical thinking, and a strong foundation in mathematics and physics. Additionally, both fields require strong communication and teamwork skills to succeed.

Can I switch from 1st year science to 1st year engineering (or vice versa)?

It is possible to switch from 1st year science to 1st year engineering (or vice versa), but it may require taking additional coursework to catch up in the new field. It is important to speak with academic advisors and carefully consider your interests and goals before making a switch between science and engineering majors.