Frequency Induced Motion Sickness?

In summary, there have been claims that certain low frequency frequencies, known as infrasound, can induce feelings of motion sickness. This has been studied and discussed in various articles and there is evidence that it is possible to create such frequencies. However, it is not a widely accepted concept and there are potential dangers associated with it.
josht
Frequency Induced Motion Sickness?

Is it true what they are saying? They are now able to send out a frequency, and it makes you feel like you have motion sickness? How is it possible to create this frequency?

Biology news on Phys.org
Who are "they" that are saying this? Do you have some sort of reference to back up the statement that someone is even making this claim?

I believe he is referring to infrasound. It's low frequency. Josht, is this what you are referring to? A lot of pipe organs in churches produce infrasound. I have some articles on it I can probably dig up. We had a long discussion about it here a couple of years ago.

Last edited:
I'm not to sure actually, I went to a "spy shop" to kill some time and they had a little speaker and it said "the vomit frequency" and the caption said that it emits a tone so low that it makes you sick to your stomach.

This is the most comprehensive overview I could find on a quick search:

http://www.defense-update.com/features/du-1-05/NLW-DEW.htm

Last edited:
Long ago, before law suits, I did lab demonstrations for a professor. In one of these, I used a large Klipsch speaker array and a good low frequency amp (an old McIntosh) to run through the range of about 2-20Hz in order to vibrate objects about the room. Invariably, someone would grasp their stomach or cross their legs and charge for the bathroom. Most students were unaffected. Today, no one in their right mind would do such a demo.

1. What is frequency induced motion sickness?

Frequency induced motion sickness is a condition that occurs when a person experiences nausea, dizziness, and other symptoms of motion sickness due to exposure to certain frequencies of sound or light. This can happen when the body's vestibular system, responsible for balance and spatial orientation, is disrupted by the repetitive stimuli.

2. What are the symptoms of frequency induced motion sickness?

The symptoms of frequency induced motion sickness can vary from person to person, but common ones include nausea, dizziness, headache, sweating, and fatigue. Some people may also experience changes in heart rate and blood pressure.

3. How is frequency induced motion sickness diagnosed?

Diagnosing frequency induced motion sickness can be challenging as it may present similarly to other types of motion sickness. However, medical professionals may use specific diagnostic criteria and perform tests to assess the individual's sensitivity to specific frequencies of sound or light.

4. What are the potential causes of frequency induced motion sickness?

The exact causes of frequency induced motion sickness are still being studied, but it is believed to be related to disruptions in the body's vestibular system. It can also be triggered by prolonged exposure to certain frequencies, individual susceptibility, and environmental factors.

5. How can frequency induced motion sickness be treated?

Treatment for frequency induced motion sickness may involve avoiding the triggering frequencies, using medications to alleviate symptoms, and implementing strategies to manage the symptoms. This can include taking breaks from the triggering stimuli, practicing deep breathing and relaxation techniques, and using acupressure or anti-motion sickness wristbands.