Physics Falling Bodies Question

In summary: And that is equivalent to the original equation.In summary, a can of paint is dropped from a hot air balloon that is rising. The balloon is moving up at a constant velocity of 4m/s, and the can falls to the ground in 0.58s. The equation for the motion of the balloon and the paint can can be solved using the first and second formulas, respectively. The first step in solving the equation is to simplify it by dividing both sides by the
Phan

Homework Statement

A person in a hot air balloon that is rising accidentally drops a can of paint from the balloon. The balloon is moving up at a constant velocity of 4m/s, the distance to the ground is at the moment 4m. Find the time it takes for the can to drop to the ground.

Homework Equations

d=v1*t+(1/2)at^2
v2^2=v1^2 + 2ad
a = (v2-v1)/t

The Attempt at a Solution

To try to solve the equation, I first started off by using the first formula and rearranging to solve for (t) while leaving v1 as 0, and using 9.8m/s (grav) for (a). However, I quickly realized that v1 is actually 4m/s, so I quickly changed my solution.

After I solved for (t) again with the new value for v1, I got a really small number. This seemed wrong, so I tried instead the second equation to solve for v2, then I input that into equation 3, but it was also a small number, I got 0.58. My friend got 1.4s instead, and I am pretty sure he is right.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I didn't review physics 11 yet, and I am struggling to recall the procedure for the initial motion questions. Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, use that first formula... careful about signs and directions...

When I rearranged the formula to solve for (t), I got:

2d/(v1*a) = t^3

Assuming that I the (ts) added up to an exponent of three, I took the root of the left side and was left with an odd number.As I plugged in everything (with negative acceleration), I got a time of 0.58s. Am I rearranging the formula the wrong way then?

Phan said:
When I rearranged the formula to solve for (t), I got:

2d/(v1*a) = t^3

YEah, that isn't right... careful with the algebra... can you show all your steps... I can poit where it's going wrong.

Assuming that I the (ts) added up to an exponent of three, I took the root of the left side and was left with an odd number.As I plugged in everything (with negative acceleration), I got a time of 0.58s. Am I rearranging the formula the wrong way then?

Ok, I thought I was doing something wrong but I wasn't sure what.

d = v1t + (1/2)at^2
2d/v1 = t + at^2
2d/v1(a) = t + t^2

Sorry if my algebra is a little rusty, I haven't touched it in a long time. I figure that it is either step 2 or 3 where I went wrong, but I'm not sure of any other way of doing it.

Phan said:
Ok, I thought I was doing something wrong but I wasn't sure what.

d = v1t + (1/2)at^2
2d/v1 = t + at^2
2d/v1(a) = t + t^2

Sorry if my algebra is a little rusty, I haven't touched it in a long time. I figure that it is either step 2 or 3 where I went wrong, but I'm not sure of any other way of doing it.

Yeah, the second step is wrong... multiply both sides by 2... do that as one step... then if you divide by v1... you have to divide everything by v1 (all 3 terms)...

you don't really have to rearrage the equation... just plug in the numbers and solve for t... it's a quadratic equation.

learningphysics said:
Yeah, the second step is wrong... multiply both sides by 2... do that as one step... then if you divide by v1... you have to divide everything by v1 (all 3 terms)...

you don't really have to rearrage the equation... just plug in the numbers and solve for t... it's a quadratic equation.

I'm still not sure what you mean by multiplying both sides by 2 and doing it as one step. Would the next step be:

2d = 2(v1t + 1/2at^2)
2d = 2v1t + at^2
2(4) = 2(4)t + (-9.8)t^2

I'm sorry, but I have forgotten quite a bit about algebra and can't remember how to specifically rearrange.

Phan said:
I'm still not sure what you mean by multiplying both sides by 2 and doing it as one step. Would the next step be:

2d = 2(v1t + 1/2at^2)
2d = 2v1t + at^2

Yes, that's right. And if you want to divide by v1... you'd have to divide all 3 terms by v1...

2(4) = 2(4)t + (-9.8)t^2

I'm sorry, but I have forgotten quite a bit about algebra and can't remember how to specifically rearrange.

Do you remember the quadratic formula? Simplify the above equation...

learningphysics said:
Yes, that's right. And if you want to divide by v1... you'd have to divide all 3 terms by v1...

Do you remember the quadratic formula? Simplify the above equation...

Ok, I just wanted to make sure I was doing it correctly first. I had forgotten that pulling a single term (from 1/2a) wouldn't really work out too well.

2d = 2v1t + at^2
8 = 8t + (-9.8)t^2
(-9.8t^2) + 8t - 8 = 0

However, if I plug that into the Quadratic Formula, I would get a negative under the root sign?

Phan said:
Ok, I just wanted to make sure I was doing it correctly first. I had forgotten that pulling a single term (from 1/2a) wouldn't really work out too well.

2d = 2v1t + at^2
8 = 8t + (-9.8)t^2
(-9.8t^2) + 8t - 8 = 0

However, if I plug that into the Quadratic Formula, I would get a negative under the root sign?

Ah yes... good catch... the d should be -4 (we're taking up positive, down negative)... because it's a displacement downwards of 4m...

learningphysics said:
Ah yes... good catch... the d should be -4 (we're taking up positive, down negative)... because it's a displacement downwards of 4m...

Hrmm, I thought the displacement wouldn't matter, but clearly I have to give everything a direction from a reference point...

From here, I would plug it into the Quadratic Formula:
(-9.8t^2) + 8t + 8 = 0
b^2 - 4ac
8^2 - (4)(-9.8)(8)
ROOT-> 377.6
->19.43

The equation is then:

X= [(-b) +- (19.43)]/2(-9.8)
= [(-8) +- (19.43)]/(-19.6)
= 1.4s

Ahhh woooww... Thanks so much for your help, I wouldn't have been able to do it if not for your guidance. I can't believe I forgot so much about basic algebra, I suppose it's time for a review.

Once again, thanks a lot for your help. :)

Phan said:
Ahhh woooww... Thanks so much for your help, I wouldn't have been able to do it if not for your guidance. I can't believe I forgot so much about basic algebra, I suppose it's time for a review.

Once again, thanks a lot for your help. :)

No prob... with a little practice your algebra will back up to speed easily.

What is the formula for calculating the speed of a falling object in physics?

The formula for calculating the speed of a falling object is speed = acceleration x time, or v = gt, where v represents speed, g represents acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and t represents time.

How does air resistance affect the speed of a falling object?

As an object falls through the air, it experiences air resistance, which is a force that opposes the motion of the object. This means that air resistance will decrease the speed of a falling object, causing it to reach a terminal velocity where the downward force of gravity is equal to the upward force of air resistance.

What is the difference between weight and mass in relation to falling objects?

Weight and mass are often used interchangeably, but they have different meanings in physics. Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. When an object falls, its mass remains the same, but its weight changes due to the acceleration of gravity.

How does the height from which an object is dropped affect its speed when falling?

The height from which an object is dropped does not affect its speed when falling, as long as there is no air resistance. This is because all objects experience the same acceleration due to gravity, regardless of their initial height. However, air resistance can affect the speed of a falling object, especially at higher heights.

What is the relationship between time and distance traveled for a falling object?

The relationship between time and distance traveled for a falling object is determined by the equation d = 1/2gt², where d represents distance, g represents acceleration due to gravity, and t represents time. This means that the distance traveled by a falling object increases quadratically with time.