Given a curve, find the equation of the plane the cuve lies in

In summary, to find the equation of the plane that a given curve lies in, one can use the theorem that states a curve is planar if and only if the torsion is 0. If the curve is planar, it can be spanned by gamma dot and gamma double dot. By choosing a point and taking the cross product of these two vectors, one can find the normal of the tangent plane. This normal can then be used in the equation of a plane to determine the equation of the plane that the curve lies in. This method eliminates the need to find the tangent and binormal vectors, making it a quicker and more efficient solution.
b0it0i

Homework Statement

r(t) = ( (1+t)/(1-t), 1/(1-t^2), (1/1+t) )
i have proven that the curve is planer

now the second part of the problem is to find the equation of the plane that the curve lies in

Homework Equations

Equation of a plane: A(x-xo) + B(y-yo) + C(z-zo) = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not certain how to go at this problem

Idea: I'm thinking you can choose any 3 points, t = 0, t = 2, t = 3

Then:

r(0) = (1,1,1) = A
r(2) = (-3, - 1/8, 1/4) = B
r(-2) = (-1/3, -1/3, -1) = C

Then

Vector BA = (-4, -9/8, -3/4)
Vector CA = (-4/3, -4/3/, -2)

then the normal for the plane would be BA x CA

BA x CA = (5/4, -7, 23/6)

so the equation of the plane would be

(5/4)(x-1) + (-7)(y-1) + (23/6)(z-1) = 0

thus

5/4 x - 7y + 23/6 z = -23/12or

15x - 84y +46z = -23

Idea 2: I'm thinking, since the curve is planer, the tangent at any point of the curve lies in the tangent plane

can i choose any point let's say t=4

and since the binormal is normal to the tangent plane

would I need to find B(4)

which is

T(4) x N(4)

after I have B(4), could i plug in my "normal" to the tangent plane into the equation

A(x-xo) + B(y-yo) + C(z-zo) = 0this method seems very tedious, trying to find T(t) and N(t)
Is this the correct idea(s)?
or am i totally off

If i am off, are there any hints/ suggestions? thank you

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
no takers?

Your ideas seem fine. Why not see if they give the same answer?

I'm curious how you figured it was planer without finding T and N all ready? or for that matter the Binormal as well (using Frenets Formulas). If its planer then your curvature is a constant and your torsion is 0. That being the case you should be able to use your Binormal to find the osculating plane at your choosen point r(t). Ask if you want to hear more or you haven't already completed the problem.

i completed this awhile ago

i proved it was planer by using the theorem

a curve is planar if and only if the torsion is 0

i did the tedious task of computing the torsion, using the invariant formula, and it was indeed 0

thus i concluded it was planar

the easy solution was to just "guess" the plane in which the given curve lies in

assume the curve is planar
Thus the curve is spanned by gamma dot and gamma double dot
chose a point t=0

gamma dot (0)
gamma double dot (0)

took the cross product of the two, which would be the normal of the assumed tangent plane

then plug in the normal into the equation

A(x-xo) + B(y-yo) + C(z-zo) = 0

once i got that equation, i plugged in the components of gamma

x = __
y = __
z = __

into the equation of the plane, and indeed it's 0. thus gamma lies in the plane, and with this process, you also found the equation of the plane it lies in

1. What is the equation of a plane?

A plane is a flat, two-dimensional surface that extends infinitely in all directions. Its equation is typically written in the form Ax + By + Cz + D = 0, where A, B, and C are the coefficients of the x, y, and z variables, and D is a constant.

2. How do you determine the equation of a plane from a given curve?

In order to find the equation of a plane from a given curve, you will need to have at least three points on the curve. These points can then be plugged into the general equation of a plane (see question 1) to solve for the coefficients A, B, C, and D. Alternatively, you can use the cross product of two vectors that lie on the plane to determine the coefficients.

3. Can any curve lie in a plane?

No, not all curves can lie in a plane. A curve that lies in a plane is known as a planar curve. An example of a non-planar curve is a helix, which wraps around a cylinder and does not lie in a single plane.

4. Are there any special cases when finding the equation of a plane from a given curve?

Yes, there are a few special cases to consider. If the curve is a straight line, then the equation of the plane will be in the form Ax + By + C = 0, as there is no z variable. Additionally, if the curve is a circle, the equation of the plane will have an added constraint that A = B, as the circle lies in a plane perpendicular to the z-axis.

5. Can the equation of a plane be written in other forms?

Yes, the equation of a plane can also be written in vector form as r · n = p, where r is a position vector for a point on the plane, n is the normal vector to the plane, and p is a constant. It can also be written in parametric form as x = at + b, y = ct + d, z = et + f, where a, b, c, d, e, and f are constants and t is a parameter that determines a point on the plane.