Can someone check my precision for a meter stick, vernier cailper, and micro

In summary, the precision values for the meter stick, Vernier caliper, and micrometer are 1 mm, 0.1 mm, and 0.01 mm respectively. These values are the most common least counts for these instruments and do not contradict the data obtained during trials. The values also follow proper precision and significant figures for their respective instruments.
twotaileddemon
[SOLVED] Can someone check my precision for a meter stick, vernier cailper, and micro

Meterstick
Precision: 1 mm
Example: 607 mm

Vernier Caliper
Precision: .1 mm
Example: 41.5 mm

Micrometer
Precision : .01 mm
Example: .05 mm

what I'm asking basically is, is the precision I obtained doing trials accurate? I gave an example of the data I collected using the instruments and was wondering if they follow the precision values I got ... if correct.

I appreciate any help immensely.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are most anywhere outside the US (i.e., using metric tools), those values (1mm, 0.1mm and 0.01mm) are indeed the most common least counts of the meter stick, Vernier calipers and micrometer gauge. And these values do not contradict any of the numbers you got during your trials.

Gokul43201 said:
If you are most anywhere outside the US (i.e., using metric tools), those values (1mm, 0.1mm and 0.01mm) are indeed the most common least counts of the meter stick, Vernier calipers and micrometer gauge. And these values do not contradict any of the numbers you got during your trials.

Ah.. thank you very much for your time. I just needed a little assurance making sure the values had proper precision and significant figures following the instrument.

Thanks again

1. How do I check my precision for a meter stick?

To check the precision of a meter stick, you can use a second meter stick or ruler to compare measurements. Place the two sticks side by side and make sure they are both aligned at the 0 mark. Then, measure an object with both sticks and compare the measurements. If they are the same, your meter stick is precise.

2. How can I check the precision of a vernier caliper?

The precision of a vernier caliper can be checked by using a micrometer or another calibrated measuring tool. Place the object to be measured in between the caliper jaws and take the measurement. Then, use the micrometer to measure the same object and compare the two measurements. If they are the same, your vernier caliper is precise.

3. Can I use a ruler to check the precision of a meter stick?

Yes, you can use a ruler to check the precision of a meter stick. Just make sure both the meter stick and ruler are aligned at the 0 mark and measure an object with both tools. If the measurements are the same, your meter stick is precise.

4. Is it necessary to use a calibrated tool to check precision?

While using a calibrated tool, such as a micrometer, can provide a more accurate check of precision, it is not always necessary. As long as you are using a reliable measuring tool and comparing measurements consistently, you should be able to determine the precision of your meter stick, vernier caliper, or microscope.

5. How often should I check the precision of my measuring tools?

It is recommended to check the precision of your measuring tools periodically, especially if they are used frequently. It is also a good idea to check the precision after any adjustments or calibrations to ensure accuracy.