Solving Bus Loading Issue w/16-bit Parallel Input to 8-Bit Bus

• Thread starter BobG
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bus
In summary, the tri-state latches work, but adding a second device to the bus changes the voltages and timing of the signals.
BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I need to take a 16-bit parallel digital input and transfer it to an 8-bit bus. I'm able to capture the 16-bit input by splitting the input and sending one through an ALS373 tri-state latch and the other half through 2 ALS373's, but I'm having problems with the bus interface.

I picked a tri-state latch because it's not supposed to load the bus when the chip is 'off'. Yet, when I model it on pSpice with the output of my 373's kept separate, I'm getting about 3.2V for high and 0.2 V for low, and 1.4 V for off (which matches the data sheet). When I hook both to the same bus, I'm only getting 2.2V for high, 0.6V for low and 1.4V for off. The timing is good, but the voltages are disturbing.

Eventually, there's going to be about 4 input devices and 4 output devices (actually, more, but they go through a mux so I have 2 16-bit input channels and 2 16-bit output channels that interface with an 8-bit bus), plus a PLD and a USB on the bus so killing my signal so quickly is a very bad sign.

I have to admit, just looking at the data sheet, I was a little curious about how the tri-state latch was going to isolate my device from the bus. With a max 20 uA output current for the off state, it seemed reasonable to believe it would work, but I've never had to interface with a shared bus before, which creates some problems.

In order to get an actual voltage reading instead of just high or low, I tossed 1K resistors between my outputs and ground. I'm not sure that really models the bus that well.

Do I need to couple all of the devices to the bus via some other means, or do these tri-state latches really isolate my device and I just didn't model my bus properly?

The idea is that external analog signals are constantly sampled, converted to digital, and stored in a microcontroller and periodically are transferred to a PC depending on what the user wants to look at.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The tri-state buffers should work. Can you post a schematic of what you are doing? Are all the devices powered from a 5V rail?

The quick test is posted here. I was only working with one line because the logic and timing was the only thing I was originally concerned about. Testing the loading was an afterthought. Since I've never worked with a bus, it occurred to me that I should probably start taking a look at how this would actually work.
http://img111.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ckttest1no8.jpg

It's nice to read that the chips will work, but it would have been better to see that they'll work since I don't have any experience hooking to a bus. I'm thinking modeling the input to the microcontroller instead of dead ending the bus line probably would have been a better test, but was kind of looking for a quick reassurance that the 373's were what I wanted before I got too far along.

Last edited:
Hmmm, interesting.

If I model the input of the microcontroller side of the bus, plus add another idle device, the voltages stay at just under 2.3V for high, about 0.65V for low, and about 1.4V for off.

That's good enough since I have to be above 2V for a high and below 0.8V for low, but I didn't expect that. And I take it that won't stay constant as I add more devices. It surely has to be just a real slow decline (I don't have enough room or time to keep adding devices, since I really should be working on the other parts of the design.)

berkeman said:
Why are you shorting most of the 373 outputs dead to ground? Am I misreading the schematic?

Whatever happened with one line must happen on all the other lines, right? (In other words, I was looking for a quick preliminary picture and was too lazy to set up the entire circuit).

I added more to it once I knew I wanted to use the 373's.

http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/5407/digitalinputok9.jpg

The resistors and 373 in the bottom right hand corner will get deleted. I just wanted at least something to model to the other side of the bus. The permanently idled 373 will come out, as well. I wanted to see if the voltages came down even lower with another device on the bus. And, of course, the timing of the control signals will change as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the bus loading issue and why is it important to solve?

The bus loading issue refers to the problem of overloading a bus with too many inputs, which can lead to data corruption and slower data transfer speeds. It is important to solve because it can significantly impact the performance and functionality of a system.

2. What is the difference between a 16-bit parallel input and an 8-bit bus?

A 16-bit parallel input refers to a data transfer mode where 16 bits of data are transferred simultaneously, while an 8-bit bus refers to a data transfer channel that can only handle 8 bits of data at a time. In other words, the 16-bit parallel input has a higher data transfer capacity than the 8-bit bus.

3. How can the bus loading issue be solved when using a 16-bit parallel input to an 8-bit bus?

One solution is to use a buffer or latch to convert the 16-bit input into an 8-bit output before it is sent to the bus. This will ensure that the bus is not overloaded and that data is transferred correctly.

4. Are there any other potential solutions to the bus loading issue?

Another solution is to use a multiplexer, which allows for multiple inputs to be connected to a single output, reducing the number of input lines on the bus. Additionally, optimizing the design and layout of the system can also help minimize the bus loading issue.

5. How can I test and verify that the bus loading issue has been successfully solved?

One way to test is to monitor the data transfer speeds and check for any errors or delays before and after implementing the solution. It is also important to thoroughly test the system under different loads and conditions to ensure that the issue has been effectively resolved.