Related Rates - Sort of confused

In summary, the problem involves finding the maximum possible theta between two buildings of different heights while a person walks between them at a constant speed. The equation for theta can be derived using the angles formed between the person and the two buildings, and the maximum theta can be found by setting the derivative of this equation equal to 0. The speed at which the person is walking does not affect the solution.
kevinr
[SOLVED] Related Rates - Sort of confused

Homework Statement

There are two buildings. One 20' high and other 40' high with a 60' distance between them. A person walking between them creates a theta with the buildings (see pic)

PICTURE: http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/v/2003959771064888674

Now i am asked to find maximum theta possible if the person is walking 4ft/s to the left.

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

I am kind of lost in coming up with the relation between theta and the two buildings. I know once i get the relation in terms of theta, i can take the derivative and find when the derivative = 0 and see if that's a max.

But any help with finding this equation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure that you have stated the problem correctly? The "maximum theta" will occur at a specific position no matter how fast the person is moving.

Let x be the distance the person is from the building on the right, in feet. Then the distance from the building on the left is 60- x.
Let [itex]\phi[/itex] be the angle the line from the top of the building on the left to the person makes with the ground. Then [itex]tan(\phi)= 20/(60-x)[/itex] so [itex]\phi= arctan(20/(60-x))[/itex].
Let [itex]\psi[/itex] be the angle the line from the top of the building on the right to the person makes with the ground. Then [itex]tan(\psi)= 40/x[/itex] so [itex]\psi= arctan(40/x).

Of course, [itex]\theta[/itex] is just [itex]\pi- \phi- \psi= \pi- arctan(20/(60-x))- arctan(40/x)[/itex]. To find the x that gives the maximum value for [itex]\theta[/itex], differentiate that and set equal to 0.

Again, I don't see that how fast the person is walking has anything to do with that.

o ok thx!

1. What are related rates?

Related rates refer to the rate of change of one variable with respect to another variable. In other words, it is the measurement of how one quantity changes in relation to another quantity.

2. How are related rates calculated?

Related rates are calculated using the chain rule from calculus. This involves finding the derivative of the given equation with respect to time, and then setting up a proportion between the changing variables.

3. What are some common examples of related rates problems?

Some common examples of related rates problems include rates of change of geometric shapes, such as the changing area of a circle as its radius changes, or the volume of a cone as its height changes. Other examples may involve rates of change in real-life scenarios, such as the rate at which a person's shadow changes as they walk away from a light source.

4. What are the key steps to solving a related rates problem?

The key steps to solving a related rates problem include identifying the given and changing variables, determining the equation that relates these variables, finding the derivative of the equation with respect to time, and setting up a proportion between the changing variables. It is also important to carefully label and plug in known values before solving for the unknown rate of change.

5. How can I improve my understanding of related rates problems?

To improve your understanding of related rates problems, it is important to practice solving a variety of problems and familiarize yourself with the different types of related rates scenarios. It can also be helpful to review the chain rule and other calculus concepts related to rates of change. Seeking assistance from a tutor or teacher can also aid in understanding and solving related rates problems.