Factor: Y to the 4th power -81

• Thread starter mcrfan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power
In summary, the person asking for help is frustrated and believes they are not receiving proper assistance. They are told to read the registration requirements and are given hints for solving their problems. The responder expresses disbelief at the lack of effort put into solving the problems and reminds the person that this is not a site for simply giving answers. The conversation ends with the responder questioning the person's expectation for immediate responses.
mcrfan
Please help! I don't know what to do

Physics news on Phys.org
oh and also 3x^2-6x-24

*tear

Uhh please help me

w/e I thought this was a help site

i'll give you a hint since no one else will it's a difference of perfect squares

mcrfan said:
I thought this was a help site
Yes, it is. Do you understand what "help" is? Did you bother to READ the file you were required to read when you registered? Did you read the part that says home-work must be posted on the "Homework" site? Did you read the part that says you MUST attempt the problem yourself so that we can see what kind of help you need. "Help" does not mean giving you the answer.

For the first, as ice109 said, [itex]Y^4- 81[/itex] can be written in the form [itex]x^2- a^2[/itex] for correct values of x and a. Do you know the simple formula for [itex]x^2- a^2[/itex]?

As for the second, [itex]3x^2-6x-24[/itex], the only way to factor [itex]3x^2[/itex] is (3x)(x). There are several ways to factor 24, what are they? Do you know how to use that information to find the factors of [itex]3x^2-6x-24[/itex]? I find it hard to believe that you were given a problem like this with no instruction or examples beforehand.

Do you think we are computers or something?
In the space of 10 minutes you send off 5 requests.

Do you think we are sitting here just yearning to read exactly your post, and then in jubilation answer it the second it arrives?

mcrfan said:
w/e I thought this was a help site
New Years?

1. What is the value of Y in the expression Y to the 4th power -81?

The value of Y cannot be determined solely from the given expression. More information is needed, such as the value of the entire expression or the value of Y to the 4th power.

2. Can the expression Y to the 4th power -81 be simplified?

Yes, the expression can be simplified to (Y^2 - 9)(Y^2 + 9) using the difference of squares formula.

3. How can I factor the expression Y to the 4th power -81?

The expression can be factored as (Y^2 - 9)(Y^2 + 9) using the difference of squares formula.

4. Is the expression Y to the 4th power -81 a perfect square?

No, the expression is not a perfect square because it cannot be written as the square of a single term.

5. Can I use the expression Y to the 4th power -81 to solve a real-world problem?

It depends on the context of the problem. The expression can be used to represent a quantity that is raised to the 4th power and then subtracted by 81. However, it may not directly relate to a real-world situation without additional information or context.