Find Field and Direction in Coaxial Coils

• Thread starter Canuck269
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Solenoid
In summary, the task is to find the field and direction inside a pair of coaxial coils. The inner coil has 3.0A of current, 500 loops, and is 10cm long, while the outer coil has 10A of current, 5000 loops, and is 10cm long. By using the given information, the field at the center can be calculated by subtracting the fields created by each coil, resulting in a final value of approximately 0.61T.
Canuck269

Homework Statement

Find the field and direction inside a pair of coaxial coils. The inner coil carries 3.0A, has 500 loops and is 10cm long. The outer coil carries 10A, has 5000 loops and is 10cm long. Find the field at the center

Thats the questions, now I don't have trouble working out the numbers (At least I hope I don't). But what I'm wondering is, in the questions, the currents are going in opposite directions, one CW, one CCW. So does that mean that at the end I just subtract them?? or does that not work??

I got, the 3.0A coil creates 0.0188T. And the 10A coil creates 0.628T. So that's ~=0.61T. I hope that's right. lol

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, if the currents are in opposite directions, then you subtract them. It looks ok to me.

hey thanks a bunch.

1. What is a coaxial coil?

A coaxial coil is a type of electromagnetic coil that consists of two or more insulated conductive wires wound together in a cylindrical shape. The wires are usually placed one inside the other, with a small space between them, and are often wound in opposite directions.

2. How do you find the field and direction in coaxial coils?

To find the field and direction in coaxial coils, you can use the right-hand rule. Point your right thumb in the direction of the current flow in the inner wire, then curl your fingers towards the outer wire. The direction of your fingers will indicate the direction of the magnetic field.

3. What factors affect the strength of the field in coaxial coils?

The strength of the magnetic field in coaxial coils is affected by several factors, including the number of turns in the coil, the current flowing through the wires, the distance between the wires, and the permeability of the materials used in the coil.

4. How does the direction of the current affect the field in coaxial coils?

The direction of the current in coaxial coils determines the direction of the magnetic field. If the current flows in the same direction in both wires, the magnetic field will be in the same direction as well. If the current flows in opposite directions, the magnetic field will be in the opposite direction.

5. What are some practical applications of coaxial coils?

Coaxial coils have a variety of practical applications, including in radio and television antennas, electric motors, generators, and transformers. They are also used in medical devices such as MRI machines and in scientific research to study electromagnetic fields.