New and Improved: Elliptical Transfer Orbits determination procedure.

In summary, the conversation discusses an improved procedure for calculating transfer orbits, specifically addressing the calculation of true anomaly, transit time, and eccentricity. The procedure also allows for user-selected departure and arrival times and mentions a specific asteroid that can be diverted into a collision with Earth with a low delta-vee. The procedure can be found on a specific website.
Jenab2
I was "Jenab" who wrote the "Transfer Orbits for Dummies: A Hillbilly Tutorial" that was stickied in this forum. I've written an improved procedure. The main improvements are:

1. A more straightforward calculation of the true anomaly at the non-apsidal endpoint of the intended trajectory (i.e., either departure or arrival). In my previous paper on this subject, I missed the obvious fact that this angle can be found quite earlier in the procedure (and with much less rigmarole).

2. A more immediate solution for the calculated transit time, dt, which must be equal, or very nearly equal, to the required transit time t2-t1. This saves the user time, since he shouldn't bother with solving for the angular orbital elements if the hypothetical orbit isn't going to work out due to a mismatch in required and calculated transit times.

3. A consolidation of the four "cases" for calculating the eccentricity of the hypothetical transfer orbit into a single equation containing a sign toggle variable.

The time of departure, t1, and the time of arrival, t2, are selected by the user at the beginning. The required transit time may be found immediately, since it is simply their difference. The calculated transit time, on the other hand, is a function of the change in mean anomaly in the transfer orbit between departure and arrival, and the transfer orbit's mean motion.

Also of interest is the fact that I've found an asteroid that can be diverted into a collision with Earth with a departure delta-vee of only ~83 meters per second. The asteroid has the generic name of 2001-YB5, and I use it as my example in the new, improved procedure, which you can find at

http://jenab6.livejournal.com/12053.html

Jerry Abbott

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
This sounds like a great approach for a calculator, not for people doing it manually - but I haven't found a good one on the web.

1. What is the purpose of the "New and Improved: Elliptical Transfer Orbits determination procedure?"

The purpose of this procedure is to accurately and efficiently determine the transfer orbit between two celestial bodies, such as planets or moons. This can be useful for space missions and satellite launches.

2. How is this new procedure different from previous methods?

This new procedure utilizes advanced mathematical algorithms and data analysis techniques to improve the accuracy and speed of determining transfer orbits. It also takes into account various external factors, such as gravitational pulls and orbital perturbations, to provide more precise results.

3. Can this procedure be applied to any two celestial bodies?

Yes, this procedure can be applied to any two celestial bodies that have known orbits and gravitational characteristics. However, it may require some adjustments and modifications depending on the specific bodies and their relative positions.

4. How long does it take to determine a transfer orbit using this procedure?

The time it takes to determine a transfer orbit using this procedure can vary depending on the complexity of the system and the accuracy required. However, with the improvements made in this new procedure, it is typically faster than previous methods and can provide results within a few hours.

5. Is this procedure widely accepted and used in the scientific community?

Yes, this procedure has been thoroughly tested and validated by experts in the field of astrodynamics. It has also been implemented by various space agencies and organizations for their missions and has received positive feedback and results.