Solving Tilted Axis Friction Problems

• Thread starter Maximillien
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary, the person is seeking clarification on how to determine the direction to put forces on a tilted axis in a given problem. They are able to break up forces into components, but are unsure which direction to put them on the titled axis. The book provides components for the W and F forces, but it is unclear which direction they should be placed on the tilted axis. The person also asks if the unit vectors i and j are for the rotated axes. The response is to break up the weight force into components on the rotated axes, with the weight force along -i and -j on the bottom picture.
Maximillien
Okay I was just wondering exactly how I'm supposed to know of where to put my forces once I get them from what I'm given in the problem because I know how to break up for example the W in my problem into its components or units (I,J) I just don't know which direction to put them on the titled axis. Because for example on my picture the W Force is pointing down yet my book says = 16.38i - 11.47 j and the F force is pointing right but my book says the components are = -3.83i - 3.21j...

I got those numbers just not where they go on the tilted axes. Thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments

• friction.gif
    friction.gif
    4.4 KB · Views: 421
Physics news on Phys.org
Remember that weight always points straight down, no matter how you rotate the axes. I guess you're doing that in the diagram, but it's hard to read it.

Are i and j still unit vectors in the unrotated axes or the rotated ones? I'm assuming the book means rotated, since weight is just in the j direction unrotated. So, you have to break up the weight force into components on your rotated axes. On the bottom picture, there should be the weight force along -i and -j. (assuming +i is up the ramp, +j is northwest perpendicular)

I understand your confusion about where to place the forces on a tilted axis. The key to solving these types of problems is to carefully consider the orientation of the axis and the direction of the forces. In this case, it seems like the W force is acting downwards and to the left, while the F force is acting to the right and downwards. Therefore, the components of the W force should be placed on the negative side of the tilted axis, while the components of the F force should be placed on the positive side. It may also be helpful to draw a diagram or use a coordinate system to visualize the forces and their directions. I recommend double-checking your calculations and considering the direction of the forces to ensure accurate placement on the tilted axis. I hope this helps. Good luck with your problem!

1. What is a tilted axis friction problem?

A tilted axis friction problem is a type of physics problem that involves an object moving on a surface with a tilted axis or incline, and accounting for the effects of friction on the object's motion.

2. How do you solve a tilted axis friction problem?

To solve a tilted axis friction problem, you must first identify the forces acting on the object, including the normal force, gravity, and friction. Then, you can use equations such as Newton's Second Law and the friction force equation to calculate the acceleration and motion of the object.

3. What are some common strategies for solving tilted axis friction problems?

Some common strategies for solving tilted axis friction problems include breaking down the problem into smaller parts, using free body diagrams to visualize the forces, and applying the correct equations for calculating the forces and motion of the object.

4. What factors affect the friction in a tilted axis friction problem?

The factors that affect friction in a tilted axis friction problem include the coefficient of friction between the object and the surface, the normal force acting on the object, and the angle of the incline or tilt of the surface.

5. How can solving tilted axis friction problems be applied in real-life situations?

Solving tilted axis friction problems can be useful in many real-life situations, such as calculating the motion of objects on inclined planes, designing ramps and slopes for accessibility, and understanding the forces acting on objects in sports and other physical activities.