Can One-Legged Jump Squats Equal the Force of a 600lbs Two-Legged Squat?

In summary, Real Life Physics Problems involve using principles of physics to solve real-world problems and understand the natural world. This can include analyzing the motion of objects, predicting the behavior of systems, and explaining the phenomena observed in the world around us. These problems often require critical thinking, mathematical calculations, and experimental data to come to a solution. By applying the laws of physics, scientists and engineers can tackle a wide range of challenges and improve our understanding of the physical world.
DanMan7997
One of my friends is really into exercising. He also knows someone who can squat around 600lbs. My friend believes that by doing one legged full range of motion jump squats he can become strong enough to squat 600lbs (this would be a two legged squat also with a full range of motion).

Since my friend is using one leg and the other fellow is using two, we believe he will need to produce twice as much force as the other man.

We also know it takes the two legged squater about 3s to complete his squat.
For my friend to complete a jump squat we estimate it to take him about .5s or less.

We also believe that the 2 legged lifter is lifting about 4/5 of his body weight + the actual 600lbs of weight he is using.
And my friend will be lifting more of his body weight than the other man because it is with one leg, so we will estimate it to be about his full body weight.

The 2 legged squater weighs about 125kg.
My friend weighs about 61kg.

We also have estimated the bottom of a squat to the top of a squat's range of motion to be .44m.

So what we want to know is what distance my friend will have to jump starting from the bottom of the squat position to the top of his jump's trajectory, to be creating the same amount of force someone who squats 600lbs is.

I know this seems like a real pain in the ass problem, and I don't even know if it can be solved with the given information, nor am I sure how to solve it correctly. So please offer any input on the problem that you can, and if you can actually solve it, it would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks a ton,
Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

I would like to address your friend's belief that by doing one legged full range of motion jump squats, he can become strong enough to squat 600lbs with two legs. While it is true that your friend will need to produce twice as much force as the other man who is squatting with two legs, there are several other factors to consider in this situation.

Firstly, the time it takes for your friend to complete a jump squat (.5s) is significantly shorter than the time it takes for the two-legged squatter to complete a squat (3s). This means that your friend will have to produce a much higher amount of force in a shorter amount of time, which may not be possible even with one leg.

Secondly, the 2 legged squatter is not just lifting 4/5 of his body weight, but also the actual weight of the 600lbs he is using. This means that the total weight being lifted is significantly higher than just his body weight. In comparison, your friend will only be lifting his body weight, which may not be enough to reach the same amount of force as the two-legged squatter.

Thirdly, the distance from the bottom of the squat position to the top of the jump's trajectory is not the only factor that determines the amount of force being produced. Other factors such as muscle strength and power also play a crucial role.

In conclusion, while your friend's goal of squatting 600lbs with one leg is admirable, it may not be realistic or safe to achieve. I would recommend focusing on proper form and gradually increasing weight and intensity in his training rather than trying to match the strength of someone who is already lifting 600lbs with two legs. It's important to remember that everyone's body is different and has different capabilities, and it's important to listen to your body and not push it beyond its limits.

What is a real life physics problem?

A real life physics problem is a problem that involves the application of physics principles to real-world scenarios. It requires the use of mathematical equations and scientific concepts to analyze and solve the problem. These problems can range from simple everyday situations to more complex engineering or scientific problems.

How do you approach a real life physics problem?

The first step in approaching a real life physics problem is to clearly define the problem and identify the known and unknown variables. Then, use relevant physics principles and equations to set up and solve the problem. It is also important to consider any assumptions and limitations when solving the problem.

What are some common challenges when solving real life physics problems?

Some common challenges when solving real life physics problems include identifying the relevant principles and equations to use, correctly setting up the problem, and accurately interpreting and applying the results. Other challenges may include dealing with complex scenarios, incomplete information, or real-life factors that may affect the outcome.

How can real life physics problems be applied in everyday life?

Real life physics problems can be applied in everyday life in various ways, such as understanding the motion of objects, designing structures, and predicting the behavior of natural phenomena. For example, physics principles can be used to calculate the speed and distance of a moving car, or to design a bridge that can withstand certain forces and loads.

What are some benefits of solving real life physics problems?

Solving real life physics problems can help improve critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as enhance understanding of how the physical world works. It can also be useful in various fields such as engineering, medicine, and environmental science, where a strong foundation in physics is necessary.