Conjugates in the normalizer of a p-Sylow subgroup

• Thread starter Mathdope
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Subgroup
In summary, the conjugate of a in a p-Sylow subgroup of G is in the normalizer of P, which is also called the stablilizer. This was problem 29 from section 2.11 of Herstein's Abstract Algebra.
Mathdope
[SOLVED] Conjugates in the normalizer of a p-Sylow subgroup

Homework Statement

Let P be a p-Sylow subgroup of G and suppose that a,b lie in Z(P), the center of P, and that a, b are conjugate in G. Prove that they are conjugate in N(P), the normalizer of P (also called stablilizer in other texts I believe).

This is problem 29 from section 2.11 of Herstein's Abstract Algebra, the last problem in Chapter 2.

Homework Equations

Any of the standard results in Sylow theory are usable.

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe that it would be sufficient to demonstrate that if b = x^(-1)ax then x must lie in the normalizer of P, N(P).

We know that if x is in N(P) then x^(-1)Px = P. We also know that both a and b commute with every element of P. In fact, we also know that x can't be in P, unless a = b. This doesn't seem like it should be too difficult, but I would love a small hint of what direction to take.

Thanks all.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
*bump*

Well, let me put up some more of what I have found - still no solution.

Since a,b [itex] \in Z(P) [/itex] we know that [itex] P \subseteq C(a) [/itex] and [itex] P \subseteq C(b)[/itex]. Since P [itex] \subseteq [/itex] N(P) we also know that [itex] P \subseteq N(P) \cap C(a) [/itex] and [itex] P \subseteq N(P) \cap C(b) [/itex].

Further, [itex]x^{-1} C(a) x [/itex] = [itex] C(b) [/itex] so that the conjugate Sylow subgroup [itex] Q = x^{-1}Px \subseteq C(b)[/itex].

We know that N(P) and N(Q) each have unique Sylow p-subgroups P and Q respectively. If we know in addition that C(a) and C(b) also have unique p-Sylow subgroups then this would solve the problem. However I know of no reason why this must be the case. Anybody see anything obvious that I'm missing (or not obvious :confused:)?

Thanks again all.

OK solved, if anyone wants to see solution let me know.

1. What is a p-Sylow subgroup?

A p-Sylow subgroup is a subgroup of a finite group whose order is a power of a prime number p. It is the largest subgroup of the group with order equal to a power of p.

2. What is the normalizer of a p-Sylow subgroup?

The normalizer of a p-Sylow subgroup is the largest subgroup of the group that contains the p-Sylow subgroup and also normalizes it, meaning that every element in the normalizer commute with every element in the p-Sylow subgroup.

3. Why are conjugates important in the normalizer of a p-Sylow subgroup?

Conjugates play a crucial role in the normalizer of a p-Sylow subgroup because they help determine the structure and properties of the subgroup. By finding all the conjugates of the p-Sylow subgroup, we can better understand its normalizer and the structure of the finite group.

4. How can the normalizer of a p-Sylow subgroup be used to find subgroups of a finite group?

The normalizer of a p-Sylow subgroup can be used to find subgroups of a finite group by identifying all the subgroups contained within the normalizer. These subgroups will also be normal in the finite group, and can provide insight into the overall structure of the group.

5. Can the normalizer of a p-Sylow subgroup be used to classify finite groups?

Yes, the normalizer of a p-Sylow subgroup can be used as a tool in the classification of finite groups. By understanding the structure and properties of the normalizer, we can gain insight into the structure of the finite group and potentially classify it into one of the known families of finite groups.