How Do You Simplify Complex Trigonometric Expressions?

In summary, the first expression can be simplified to (sin t cos t)/sin t + (sin t cos t)/1, and the second expression can be simplified to (sin^2x)/(sinx cosx).
stuck
Theres a few...
Write each expression as a single trigonometric ratio or as the number 1.

1) sint+(cott)(cost)

2) (sec x)(sin^2x)(csc x)

For number one I went like this:
sin t + ((1/cot)(cos/1))
sin t + (cos t/cot t)
sin t + (cos t/1)( sin t/cos x)
(sin t cos t)/1 + (sin t cot t)/1

But then I get stuck.

For number 2 I went like this:
(secx)(sin^2x)(cscx)
(1/cosx)(sin^2x/1)(1/sinx)
sin^2x/(cosx)(sinx)

But then I got stuck again. :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
stuck said:
Theres a few...
Write each expression as a single trigonometric ratio or as the number 1.1) sint+(cott)(cost)

2) (sec x)(sin^2x)(csc x)

For number one I went like this:
sin t + ((1/cot)(cos/1))
sin t + (cos t/cot t)
sin t + (cos t/1)( sin t/cos x)
(sin t cos t)/1 + (sin t cot t)/1

But then I get stuck. For number 2 I went like this:
(secx)(sin^2x)(cscx)
(1/cosx)(sin^2x/1)(1/sinx)
sin^2x/(cosx)(sinx)

But then I got stuck again. :confused:

sint+(cott)(cost)

[tex]= sint + \frac{cos^2 t}{sint} = \frac{?+??}{sint}[/tex][tex]secx*sin^2x*cosecx=\frac{1}{cosx}\times sin^2x \times \frac{1}{sinx}[/tex]

[itex]sin^2x \times \frac{1}{sinx}[/itex] gives what? and then that times [itex]\frac{1}{cosx}[/itex] gives what?

Err, what is the question? If I read your notation correctly, first you say it is
sin t+ (cot t)(cos t)
and then you proceed to calculate
sin t + (1/cot t)(cos t)

Yes, the above statements are right. Your mistake lies in the fact that you mean to write 1/ tan t , and not 1/cott to represent cott.

rock.freak667 said:
sint+(cott)(cost)

[tex]= sint + \frac{cos^2 t}{sint} = \frac{?+??}{sint}[/tex]

[tex]secx*sin^2x*cosecx=\frac{1}{cosx}\times sin^2x \times \frac{1}{sinx}[/tex]

[itex]sin^2x \times \frac{1}{sinx}[/itex] gives what? and then that times [itex]\frac{1}{cosx}[/itex] gives what?

would it be:

(sin^2x) x (1/sinx) = sin^2x/sinx

(sin^2x/sinx) x (1/cosx) = (sin^2x)/(sinx cosx)?

You are correct, but rock.freak is showing you that you can simplify sin2x/sinx. Hint: what is y2/y, or 52/5?

1. What are Trig Identities?

Trig Identities are equations involving trigonometric functions that are true for all values of the variables involved. They are used to simplify complex trigonometric expressions and equations.

2. Why do we need to learn Trig Identities?

Trig Identities are an essential part of trigonometry and are used in many applications such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. They help to simplify calculations and solve complex problems involving trigonometric functions.

3. How do I memorize Trig Identities?

There are several strategies for memorizing Trig Identities, including creating flashcards, practicing regularly, and understanding the patterns and relationships between the identities. It is also helpful to understand the basic trigonometric functions and their graphs.

4. What are the most commonly used Trig Identities?

Some of the most commonly used Trig Identities include the Pythagorean Identities, Sum and Difference Identities, Double Angle Identities, and Half Angle Identities. These identities are used to simplify trigonometric expressions and solve equations.

5. How do I use Trig Identities to solve problems?

To use Trig Identities to solve problems, you first need to identify which identity is most useful for the given problem. Then, you can use algebraic manipulation to rewrite the expression using the identity and simplify it to solve for the unknown variable. It is important to practice and familiarize yourself with different identities to effectively use them in problem-solving.