Rotational Mechanics & Collisions question

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a meter stick, a particle, and a pivot. The goal is to find the maximum angle the stick will rise after the particle collides with it. The conversation touches on concepts such as inelastic collisions, conservation of angular momentum, and the center of mass. It also mentions the use of rotational inertia and the consideration of external forces, such as friction. The final part of the conversation involves a discussion on finding the moment of inertia of a flywheel practically.
rohanprabhu

Homework Statement

Q] A meter stick weighing 240 grams is pivoted at it's upper end in such a way that it can freely rotate through this end. A particle of mass 100 gms is attached to the upper end of the stick to a string of length 1m. Initially the rod is kept vertical and the string horizontal when the system is released from rest. The particle collides with the lower end of the stick and sticks there. Find the maximum angle through which the stick will rise.

http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/2136/img1vd2.png

The Attempt at a Solution

This is a case of pure inelastic collision. In this case:

[tex]
\Delta {mv} = 0
[/tex]

The potential energy of the particle at the position in rest is 1J. Hence, when it reaches the bottom, it's P.E will get converted to K.E. Hence:

[tex]
\frac{1}{2}mv^2 = 1
[/tex]

and hence,

[tex]
v = \sqrt{2}{m} = \sqrt{20} = 2\sqrt{5}
[/tex]

and the momentum is given by:

[tex]
p = mv = 0.2\sqrt{5}
[/tex]

Now, when it collides with the rod below, the momentum of the whole system at this point will be the same, but the mass of the system is now 0.24 + 0.1 = 0.34 gms. Hence, the velocity of the system at this point is given as:

[tex]
v = \frac{0.2\sqrt{5}}{0.34}
[/tex]

Now, the situation can be simplified to: There is a system of a bob attached to a rod, with:

[tex]
I = 0.24~ kgm^2~~;~~m = 0.34 ~kg
[/tex]

A gravitational force acts on it and i am left to determine by how much the system will be displaced [angular] under this force. I have no idea how to do that as of now. Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Comments:
(1) During the collision: Since the stick is constrained by its pivot, translational momentum is not conserved. But what is?
(2) After the collision: Energy is conserved as the stick+mass swings up. Hint: Where's the center of mass?

Doc Al said:
Comments:
(1) During the collision: Since the stick is constrained by its pivot, translational momentum is not conserved. But what is?
(2) After the collision: Energy is conserved as the stick+mass swings up. Hint: Where's the center of mass?

I did not realize the external force by the pivot. However, the pivot will exert a force along the rod and hence the torque will be zero [i guess]. So, will the angular momentum stay constant?

rohanprabhu said:
So, will the angular momentum stay constant?
Exactly.

I tried doing it using conservation of angular momentum now. Just before the bob strikes the rod, it's angular momentum is given by:

[tex]
l = mvr= (0.1)(2\sqrt{5})(1) = 0.2\sqrt{5}
[/tex]

After collision, the angular momentum of the system will remain constant. Hence,
[tex]
I\omega = 0.2\sqrt{5}
[/tex]

[tex]
\omega = \sqrt{5}{1.2}
[/tex]

The K.E. of the system at this point is given as:

[tex]
K.E = \frac{1}{2}I\omega^2 = \frac{10}{24}
[/tex]

The center of mass is at a distance 'r' from the pivoted end:

[tex]
r = \frac{1}{0.34}[(0.24)(0.5) + (0.1)(1)} = \frac{11}{17}
[/tex]

At this point, the gravitational force will be acting. The perpendicular distance of this point from where we computed the K.E is given [or took the P.E to be zero] is given by:

[tex]
h = 1 - \frac{11}{17}cos(\theta)
[/tex]

On equating the GPE at this point with the K.E found earlier, i am getting the theta as ArcCos[0.9], whereas i should be getting ArcCos[0.75]. What am i doing wrong here?

What are you using for the rotational inertia of rod + mass?

how we can find the moment of inertia of aflywheel peactically , you don,t know the mass of flywheel and also consider friction?

1. What is rotational mechanics?

Rotational mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the motion of objects that rotate or spin. It involves the analysis of forces, torques, and moments that affect the rotation of an object.

2. How are rotational and linear motion related?

Rotational and linear motion are related through the concepts of torque and angular momentum. When a force is applied to an object that can rotate, it creates a torque that causes the object to rotate. Similarly, when an object in motion collides with another object, it can transfer linear momentum, which can cause rotational motion in the second object.

3. What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions?

In an elastic collision, the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved, meaning that the objects involved bounce off each other without any energy being lost. In an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is lost as heat or sound, and the objects may stick together after the collision.

4. How does the conservation of angular momentum apply to collisions?

The law of conservation of angular momentum states that the total angular momentum of a system is constant, as long as there are no external torques acting on the system. In collisions, angular momentum can be transferred between objects, but the total angular momentum of the system remains the same.

5. How can rotational mechanics be applied in real-life situations?

Rotational mechanics is used in a variety of real-life situations, such as the motion of planets and satellites, the movement of gears and pulleys, and the dynamics of sports such as gymnastics and figure skating. It is also essential in the design of machines and vehicles that involve rotating parts, such as engines and turbines.