Sound Travel in a Vacuum (not the obvious question)

In summary, the person is new and got referred to this conversation when someone else couldn't answer their question. They have a vacuum thermos with a bottle cap inside and are wondering how sound can travel through a vacuum. The conversation also discusses the possibility of the vacuum providing insulation similar to heat transfer.
George Jung
Hi, I'm new here. I got referred here when someone else couldn't answer my question. Hopefully, someone can answer the question. Thanks in advance for taking the time.

I have a vacuum thermos. Somehow, a bottle cap wound up in there. I was walking with it, but I could still hear it jingling around just fine- plenty loud.

I thought sound can't travel through a vacuum

Is this what's happening? The sound energy has to go somewhere so it all leaves- just through a different path?
Below is a cross section of the thermos (green= cap, black = walls, red = vacuum).

So it's just as loud, just taking a different path? In theory, if middle container was "floating" (didn't have to be attached to the outside walls), you wouldn't hear anything, right? Since there is a solid path (or at least a path not broken up by vacuum), does the vacuum provide any (significant) "r-value" (if it was analogized to heat transfer)?

Thanks.
GJ

Engineering news on Phys.org
The sound is being transmitted via mechanical vibrations in the steel inner vessel transmitted via the seals to the outer shell. Also there is the air in the thermos itself which can transmit sound.

hi sound itself will not travel within the vacuum, the noise itself is purely down to the mechanics of the compont touching the edge of the container http://www.absolute-vacuum.com/resources.php [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How does sound travel in a vacuum?

In a vacuum, sound cannot travel because there are no particles or medium for sound waves to propagate through. Sound waves require a medium, such as air or water, to travel through.

2. Can sound travel in outer space?

No, sound cannot travel in outer space because it is mostly a vacuum with very few particles. The sound waves would have nothing to travel through, so they cannot propagate.

3. Can sound travel through all types of vacuum?

No, sound can only travel through a vacuum if there is a medium for the sound waves to travel through. For example, sound can travel through a vacuum-sealed tank of water because the water provides a medium for the sound waves to travel through.

4. Are there any instances where sound can travel in a vacuum?

Yes, there are some rare instances where sound can travel in a vacuum. One example is when a vacuum is created in a laboratory, and sound is produced within the vacuum using specialized equipment. Another example is when sound waves travel through a vacuum-sealed container with a medium, as mentioned before.

5. Why is it important to understand sound travel in a vacuum?

Understanding sound travel in a vacuum is essential for various scientific and technological applications, such as designing spacecraft and studying the effects of sound in a vacuum environment. It also helps us understand the properties and behavior of sound waves in different environments.