Quantum Tunneling: Exploring the Proton's Energy Source

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of proton tunnelling and its implications in the quantum world. The commentator raises questions about the possibility of the electroweak force acting on a 'tunneling' proton, the source of additional energy for the proton to overcome the strong force, and the validity of the quark-quark model potential in explaining proton tunnelling. The use of a model potential and the WKB approximation to estimate tunnelling probability is mentioned, but the complexity of the quark-quark problem is also acknowledged. The conversation highlights the difficulty in fully understanding proton tunnelling and the need for further research and exploration in this area.
muser
I knew of this phenomena prior to , though prior to an e-mail amazon sent me I was unaware of what physicists called it.
I have a question regarding the proton demonstration in this clip. Is it possible the electroweak force is acting on the 'tunneling' proton?
If, as the commentator is suggesting the proton is imbued (momentarily) with enough energy to circumvent the strong force, where is the additional energy coming from? are there test which pinpoint the energy source and could someone provide a link.
also one last question. I remember reading somewhere that it would take vast sums of energy to overcome the strong force, how is a proton or any subatomic particle able to use the extra energy to perform this feat?
I understand the rules that govern the quantum world are different to those which govern ours, but conceptually I find it hard to fathom how a proton might process the additional energy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I know that they use a model potential for the weak interaction like:

[tex]
\[V(r) = \left\{
\begin{array}{l l}
-V_b & 0\leq r<a\\
\frac{Ze^2}{4\pi\varepsilon r} & r\geq a\\ \end{array} \right.\]
[/tex]

so you could get a finite tunnelling probability into the nucleus (r<a). You could estimate it by the WKB approximation. The nuclear binding energy V_b is of MeV and transitions between quantum levels give gamma-radiation.

But in principle you should solve the quark-quark problem, since all particles in a nucleus are made up of quarks (p=uud etc). I guess its better to talk about overlap of quark wave functions here, rather than tunnelling? Personally I am not satisfied with the quark-quark model potential, that assumes the potential grows proprtionally with relative distance, since two protons far away would destroy each other (expode into particle-anti-particles) because of quark-quark interaction. And more sopisticated gluon tranfer models, including Feynman diarams etc. are to complicated in my opinion, at least to desribe tunnelling of protons into a nucleus...

I can provide some insights into the phenomenon of quantum tunneling and its potential connection to the proton's energy source.

First of all, quantum tunneling is a well-known phenomenon in the field of quantum mechanics. It refers to the ability of particles to pass through energy barriers that would normally be impenetrable based on classical physics. This is due to the wave-like nature of particles at the quantum level, which allows them to "tunnel" through barriers.

In the case of the proton demonstration in the clip, it is possible that the electroweak force is involved in the process. The electroweak force is one of the four fundamental forces in nature, along with gravity, electromagnetism, and the strong nuclear force. This force is responsible for interactions between particles such as protons and electrons.

As for the source of the additional energy that allows the proton to tunnel through the energy barrier, it is likely that it comes from the inherent energy of the particle itself. At the quantum level, particles are constantly moving and fluctuating, and this energy can be harnessed to overcome barriers. However, the exact mechanism of how this energy is used is still an area of active research.

There have been experiments that have successfully demonstrated quantum tunneling in various systems, including subatomic particles. These experiments have provided evidence for the existence of this phenomenon and have helped to further our understanding of it.

To address your last question, it is important to note that the strong nuclear force is not the only force that acts on particles at the subatomic level. The electroweak force and the inherent energy of particles also play a role in determining their behavior. So while it may take a lot of energy to overcome the strong force, it is possible for a particle to utilize other sources of energy to perform this feat.

In conclusion, quantum tunneling is a fascinating phenomenon that plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles at the subatomic level. While there is still much to learn about it, experiments and theoretical models have provided valuable insights into its mechanisms and potential connections to the proton's energy source. I hope this helps to answer your questions and further your understanding of this complex topic.

1. What is quantum tunneling?

Quantum tunneling is a phenomenon in which particles can pass through energy barriers that they would not have enough energy to overcome in classical physics. It is a result of the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics.

2. How does quantum tunneling relate to the proton's energy source?

The proton's energy source, also known as the strong nuclear force, is responsible for holding the nucleus of an atom together. This force is generated by the exchange of particles called gluons, which can undergo quantum tunneling in order to maintain the strength of the force.

3. Can we observe quantum tunneling?

Yes, quantum tunneling has been observed and verified through experiments such as scanning tunneling microscopy and the tunneling effect in semiconductors. However, it is important to note that we can only observe the effects of quantum tunneling, as the phenomenon itself occurs at a subatomic level.

4. What practical applications does quantum tunneling have?

Quantum tunneling has many practical applications, particularly in the field of electronics. It is utilized in technologies such as transistors, flash memory, and tunnel diodes. It is also being studied for potential use in quantum computing and encryption.

5. Are there any potential risks associated with quantum tunneling?

Currently, there are no known risks associated with quantum tunneling. However, as it is a relatively new area of study, further research is needed to fully understand its implications and potential consequences. As with any scientific discovery, proper precautions and ethical considerations must be taken when applying it to real-world applications.