Air Track Experiment: Explaining the Velocity Increase

In summary, the conversation discusses the possible reasons for a slight increase in velocity of a glider on an air track, aside from friction. The main suggestion is that the force applied by the air discharged from the air track may have disturbed the glider and caused a small change in velocity. Other factors that could contribute to this change include the alignment of the air track and the weight distribution of the glider. The conversation also clarifies the concept of "forward" and "backward" air flow in relation to the glider's movement.
mathsgeek
I have just done an experiment with a glider on an air track and applied a force to it. Its velocity increased very slightly and was wondering are there any reasons, other than friction, why the velocity could change during motion? Thanks

I thought this but i don't know if its right "There is a logical explanation for why the velocity of the glider increased during motion for reasons other than friction. This is due to the air discharged by the air track, used to make the glider float and eliminate friction, disturbed the glider and possibly applied a small force to the glider, making the glider’s velocity increase by a small fraction. While there is force being applied by the air underneath the glider to keep it afloat, some of the air particles from the air that is discharged and is not covered by the glider, located on either side of the glider, may have applied this force. "

Any suggestions would help.

Science news on Phys.org
Are you sure the air track was perfectly straight and perfectly horizontal?

Yes I am pretty sure, a lab technician actually did it so i would assume they would know How to do it. Is my suggestion incorrect? Tell me your suggestions how it would increase motion if it wasnt perfctly straight or the way other factos could have affected it? Thanks very much, I am having trouble thinking of any.

If the force wasn't applied to the exact center of the glider, then a small angle would result, causing a change in velocity.

Could you explain it a bit more cause i don't really understand it? Thanks. Any other suggestions would help also

If one end of the glider is relatively heavier than the other end, then it will rest at an angle on the upwards air flow, and since it's at an angle, the "forwards" air flow from the glider will be different than the "backwards" air flow, resulting the in a change in velocity of the glider. If the "front end" is heavier, the glider moves forwards, and vice versa.

Thanks. Btw what do you mean by "fowards" and "backwards" air flow?

mathsgeek said:
What do you mean by "fowards" and "backwards" air flow?
That there would be a net component of forward or backward air flow if the glider were at an angle. Air would tend to flow towards the end with the larger gap.

1. What is an air track experiment?

An air track experiment is a physics experiment that involves a flat, smooth track with a cushion of air underneath it. Objects placed on the track, such as a glider or a marble, experience minimal friction and allow for precise measurements of motion and velocity.

2. How does an air track work?

An air track works by using a blower to create a cushion of air underneath a flat track. This reduces the friction between the track and an object placed on it, allowing the object to move with minimal resistance.

3. What is the purpose of the velocity increase in an air track experiment?

The purpose of the velocity increase in an air track experiment is to demonstrate the conservation of energy and how it affects the motion of an object. As the object moves along the track, its potential energy decreases while its kinetic energy increases, resulting in a constant velocity.

4. What factors can affect the velocity increase in an air track experiment?

Several factors can affect the velocity increase in an air track experiment, including the mass of the object, the angle of the track, and the amount of air cushion. Friction and air resistance can also play a role in altering the velocity increase.

5. How can the velocity increase in an air track experiment be calculated?

The velocity increase in an air track experiment can be calculated using the equation v = d/t, where v is the velocity, d is the distance traveled, and t is the time taken. By measuring the distance and time of the object's motion, the velocity increase can be determined.