How to visualize an electyromagnetic (light) wave

In summary, the conversation revolved around finding an accurate representation of the passage of an electromagnetic wave through space, with a focus on visualizing the spiral motion and interaction between the electric and magnetic aspects of the wave. The suggestion to Google "electromagnetic wave applet" led to the discovery of a circularly polarized EM wave animation. The individual then asked for clarification on the changes in the wave's shape as it passed through a yellow plane representing a polarizer. The expert explained that the polarizer only allows the component of the E field parallel to its axis to pass through, resulting in a change from circular to linear polarization.
Coronado
Could someone please point me to a 'flash' or 'Java' type video that would accurately represent the passage of an electromagnetic (light) wave as it travels through space. I am particularly interested in being able to visualize the 'spiral' motion of the wave as the 'electro' and 'magneto' aspects of the wave interact. The imagery that I have seen so far gives only a more or less 'static' view of things, even when the objects represented are in motion, with the electric part and the magnetic part merely 'flip flopping' along through space.
Thank you ......PD

Physics news on Phys.org
Doc Al...thank you. That's about the best I have seen so for. I wonder if you can answer something for me. In the circularly polarized applet I click and drag to change the angle of view and I see a yellow plane (at the halfway point) through which the wave is traveling. As it does so the wave itself changes shape slightly as its passing through the plane. Could you explain that for me? Thx PD

I suspect you are looking at the applet titled "Circular wave with polarizer". That yellow plane represent the polarizer. The wave most definitely changes shape after passing through the polarizer: It starts out circularly polarized and becomes linearly polarized. Only the component of the E field parallel to the axis of polarization can pass through the polarizer.

Ohhhhhhhhhh I see....thank you very much. I now have a much clearer understanding...PD

1. What is an electromagnetic (light) wave?

An electromagnetic wave is a type of energy that is produced by the vibration of electric and magnetic fields. It is a form of energy that can travel through space and does not require a medium to propagate.

2. How can electromagnetic waves be visualized?

Electromagnetic waves can be visualized using various tools such as diagrams, animations, and simulations. These tools can help to represent the properties and behavior of electromagnetic waves in a visual format.

3. How do scientists measure electromagnetic waves?

Scientists use instruments such as spectrometers, oscilloscopes, and antennas to measure electromagnetic waves. These instruments can detect and measure the properties of electromagnetic waves, including their frequency, wavelength, and amplitude.

4. What is the electromagnetic spectrum?

The electromagnetic spectrum is the range of all electromagnetic waves, including radio waves, microwaves, infrared, visible light, ultraviolet, X-rays, and gamma rays. It is organized based on the different frequencies and wavelengths of these waves.

5. What is the role of visualization in understanding electromagnetic waves?

Visualization plays a crucial role in understanding electromagnetic waves as it allows scientists to see and analyze the complex properties and behaviors of these waves. It also helps in communicating scientific concepts and findings to a wider audience in a more accessible and understandable way.