Energy of different frequencies of sound

In summary, two sound waves with different frequencies were compared and it was found that the higher frequency wave had a lower amplitude when played back on a recorder. This could be attributed to two possible explanations: energy loss due to the higher frequency wave having a larger displacement and resonance of the recorder material. There may also be a correlation between frequency and sound power, but further research is needed.
stuckie27out1
Take a two sound waves: for example let us spread them at both poles of the human hearing spectrum. The low frequency at 20Hz and the high at 20,000Hz.

Which sound wave carries with it more energy?

It is said that sound travels at 343m/s, is that true of all sound in the air medium, meaning will the low frequency wave arive a location X before the high frequency one?

This question stems from a recording I did with a microphone, I placed the microphone in my pocket at waist level, upon a later listening to it recording, it show that the higher frequency are about 5-10dB lower than the low freqs, something that was not apparent during the recording while I was listening at ear level with my ears. (at ear lever there was a clear path from the speaker to my ear, and at the recorder lever there where a bunch of sweaty bodies obstructing the way.)

What can be attributed to this phenomenon? What effect is the mass of bodies having on the propagation of the sound?

-p

Physics news on Phys.org
hey stuckie,
all soundwaves in the same medium travel at the same speed which is not necesarily 343m/s. Speed of sound(SS) in air at 20 degree celcius is expressed as SS= 331.5m/s*sqrt((20celcius +273.15K)/273.15K). "sqrt means the square root". From this equation u can say that speed of sound in air at 20 degrees celcius is 343m/s. This can change by changing the temperature in the equation but it must remain in celcius.
A change in the frequency has nothing to do with the speed of the soundwave. It remains the same providing that nothing else changes.
Also, the higher the frequency the more the energy of the wave.

Now for the second part, you said that the higher frequency was 5-10db lower than the lower frequency as played back on the recorder and that you did not detect a difference with your own ears.

****Loudness(db) is measured by amplitude and not frequency******

1)Ok, for this part i am not too sure by I am suggesting that because the displacement in a medium of a high frequency wave is more than a lower frequency wave, there must be more energy lost from the higher frequency. The energy loss could be characterized as formation of heat. With that energy lost, the overall amplitude of the higher frequency wave would have decreased a lot more than in the lower frequency wave. A lower amplitude results in a lower audibility measured as decibels.

2)My second possible explanation is all about resonance. The material that acts as the eardrum of the recorder could provide a better resonance for a lower frequency than a higher frequency. With the lower frequency the "drum" would be able to displace more making a high amplitude. But the higher frequency would not allow the "drum" to displace fully therefore making the amplitude sound lower than the original.

3)Ok, it could also be both explanation 1 and 2 acting together creating such an effect.

feel free to critize my theory if you do not agree. Hope it was helpful

your second point is relevant, I guess I failed to mention that I have previously recorded sounds on the recorder with a pretty flat response. So we can cancel out the internal microphone pick up as the source of the problem.

Thank you for the reply.

Further is there an equation that correlates sound frequency to power, I was browsing around and was unable to find one, or perhaps I don't and the right understanding of the subject matter...yet :)

-p

well, i don't know too much about sound power.
Sound power is expressed in decibel "db"(shown by the amplitude of the wave). It is the measure of loudness of a sound. I really do not think that there is a correlation between frequency and power. think about it, sound "power" better called amplitude is only measured by the amount of constructive or distructive interferences. I believe that any given frequency can have an infinite amount of amplitudes if the sources are available. Once more, i do not believe frequency and amplitude are corrolated at all.

if you want more information, you schould read about sound interferences. That should give you a better understanding. if you do not understand what you read, you can always ask me :)

1. What is the relationship between frequency and energy of sound waves?

The frequency of a sound wave refers to the number of oscillations per second, measured in Hertz (Hz). The energy of a sound wave is directly proportional to its frequency, meaning that higher frequency sound waves have more energy than lower frequency sound waves.

2. How does the human ear perceive different frequencies of sound?

The human ear is capable of perceiving a wide range of sound frequencies, typically ranging from 20 Hz to 20,000 Hz. Different parts of the ear, such as the eardrum and cochlea, are responsible for detecting and processing different frequencies of sound. The brain then interprets these frequencies as different pitches.

3. Can sound waves with different frequencies have the same energy?

No, sound waves with different frequencies cannot have the same energy. As mentioned before, the energy of a sound wave is directly proportional to its frequency. This means that two sound waves with different frequencies cannot have the same energy, as their frequencies are inherently different.

4. How do different frequencies of sound affect our daily lives?

Different frequencies of sound can have various effects on our daily lives. Low frequencies, such as those produced by a car engine, can be felt as vibrations and may cause discomfort or even damage to our ears. High frequency sounds, like those produced by a dog whistle, may be inaudible to some individuals but can cause discomfort or pain in others. Additionally, different frequencies of sound can affect our mood and emotions, such as calming low frequency sounds or energetic high frequency sounds.

5. What is the significance of understanding energy of different frequencies of sound?

Understanding the energy of different frequencies of sound is important in various fields, such as acoustics, music, and communication. It allows us to manipulate and control sound waves for various purposes, such as creating different pitches in music or improving the quality of sound in a room. Additionally, understanding the energy of sound waves can help us protect our ears from potentially damaging frequencies and improve our overall listening experience.