Axiomatic Universe: Philosophical Point of View

• Thread starter captain
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Universe
In summary, the philosopher points out that it is up to us to decide if the universe is an axiomatic system and that there is no definitive answer. Furthermore, the philosopher argues that while standard logic may be valid in our universe, it is not arbitrary, and that free will does not exist in an axiomatic universe because it would be a logical contradiction.
captain
is the universe an axiomatic system? I am curious to know the philosophical point of view on this?

Space news on Phys.org
To qualify the universe as an axiomatic system, we would have to 1. be certain that laws exist in our universe 2. that the universe is logical. Now, in my opinion, the second is the more worthy of philosophical inquiry. Reinterpreted, it requires us to establish that conclusions reached by means of standard logic from the said laws, assuming they exist, are necessarily true statements in our universe.

That said, standard logic is not arbitrary but rather conceived to agree with what we observe of the universe. Therefore the question "is the universe logical" is equivalent to the question "do things that are reached by induction form truths?" and we know that it can neither be answered in affirmative nor the negative.

We are then led to the following question: is there a logic to our universe? I'm not going to try to answer that question because I don't think any answer I would produce would present points that I haven't already raised.

Also, if the universe is a logical system, is it complete? That question raises the classic question "does free will exist?" as if the universe is indeed a complete logical system, free will cannot exist.

Likes Grisha
One reflection

captain said:
is the universe an axiomatic system? I am curious to know the philosophical point of view on this?

Before attempting to answer I wonder what you mean. The question is unclear to me. I assume that you mean that either it is, or it's not?

Suppose it is
or
Suppose it's not

then what conclusions would you draw from each case and what difference does it make?

If you are thinking of a scientific method consisting of constructing/finding axiom systems, so that all our knowledge of the world would follow by deductions then I do not think that is a good idea. To me that is an out of faishon and static view of science, that somehow smells like seeing knowledge as uncovering universal truth, and the axioms of the universe are those fundamental truths, from which all that can be said follows deductively.

Often the models of science, when matured and tested good, are reworked into axiomatic systems, in which you have theorems etc. That is very handy, but I don't think that reflects the deepest nature of science if you consider the axioms universal truths.

However if you consider the axioms to be dynamical, then the overall picture of making deductions from an inductively guessed set of axioms, is after all just a particular way of making inductions. This type of axiomatisation makes more sense to me. Then the axioms really somehow serve the purpose of "probable laws", inferred presumably from experiments. Wether we choose to call them postulated axioms, or inferred laws of nature - I see no major difference beyond the words.

/Fredrik

1. What is the Axiomatic Universe from a philosophical point of view?

The Axiomatic Universe is a concept in philosophy that refers to the idea that the universe is governed by a set of unchangeable, fundamental principles or axioms. These axioms are considered to be self-evident and do not require proof or explanation.

2. How does the Axiomatic Universe differ from other philosophical views of the universe?

The Axiomatic Universe differs from other philosophical views in that it focuses on the fundamental principles or axioms that govern the universe, rather than trying to explain the origins or purpose of the universe. It is a more abstract and theoretical approach to understanding the universe.

3. What are some examples of axioms in the Axiomatic Universe?

Some examples of axioms in the Axiomatic Universe include the law of identity, which states that something is what it is and not something else, and the law of non-contradiction, which states that something cannot be both true and false at the same time.

4. How does the Axiomatic Universe impact our understanding of reality?

The Axiomatic Universe can help us better understand reality by providing a framework for understanding the fundamental principles that govern the universe. It allows us to make logical deductions and understand the relationships between different aspects of reality.

5. Can the Axiomatic Universe be proven or disproven?

No, the Axiomatic Universe cannot be proven or disproven as it is based on self-evident axioms that are accepted as true without requiring proof. It is a philosophical viewpoint rather than a scientific theory that can be tested through experimentation.