Trigonometry question find range

In summary, the problem involves finding the range of (sinx)^4 + (cosx)^4 and (sinx)^6 + (cosx)^6. The solution involves using the property a^4 + b^4 = (a^2 + b^2)^2 - 2a^2b^2 and the identity sin(2x) = 2sin(x)cos(x) to simplify the expressions. The range for the first expression is 0 to 1, and for the second expression it is 0 to 1/2.
fantasy
guys , following is the problem

(sinx)^4 + (cosx)^4

and

(sinx)^6 + (cosx)^6

they are asking for the range for each of them

i really have know clue how to solve this...any sugeestion please?...thanks for reading this!

Physics news on Phys.org
Both of them can be solved in the same way I think. Here is a hint on how to transform the first one.

[tex]a^4 + b^4 = (a^2 + b^2)^2 - 2a^2b^2[/tex]

so the other one will be

(a+b)^6 =(a^2 +b^2)^3- 3a^2b - 3ab^2

rite?..

i tried to solve and factorize the first one but can`t

it becomes 2(sin^2(x))^2 - sin^2(x) + 1 ??

Last edited:
Use the property [tex]sin(2x) = 2sin(x)cos(x)[/tex]

thanks praharmita... but there is not sin 2x ?

it`s ((sinx)^2)^2...

you don't have to write everything in terms of sin(x) as you did. Use the original form as given by snipez90, where there is a [tex]2a^2b^2[/tex] term, and then use the identity of sin(2x)

ooo i see...thanks again...

is the ans 90<x<270 for the first one ?

I assume you mean degrees, in which case you are thinking about the domain but we want to focus on the range (the outputs of our function).

We have

[tex]sin^4(x) + cos^4(x) = (sin^2(x) + cos^2(x))^2 - 2sin^2(x)cos^2(x) = 1 - [2sin(x)cos(x)]sin(x)cos(x) = 1 - sin(2x)(\frac{1}{2}sin(2x)) = 1 - \frac{1}{2}sin^2(2x)[/tex]

Now using what you know about the range of sin and the nature of squared quantities, determine the range of the final expression.

1. What is trigonometry?

Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the relationships between the sides and angles of triangles. It is used to solve problems involving right triangles and is essential in fields such as engineering, physics, and navigation.

2. How do you find the range in trigonometry?

The range in trigonometry refers to the set of all possible values that a trigonometric function can take. To find the range, you need to identify the maximum and minimum values of the function. This can be done by graphing the function or using mathematical techniques such as differentiation.

3. What are the primary trigonometric functions?

The primary trigonometric functions are sine, cosine, and tangent. These functions represent the ratios of the sides of a right triangle and are used to calculate the angles and sides of a triangle.

4. How do I solve trigonometry equations?

To solve trigonometry equations, you need to use the trigonometric identities and laws. These include the Pythagorean identities, the sum and difference formulas, and the double and half-angle formulas. It is also important to understand the properties of trigonometric functions, such as periodicity and symmetry.

5. What are some real-world applications of trigonometry?

Trigonometry is used in various fields, including architecture, astronomy, and surveying. It is also essential in the construction of bridges, buildings, and other structures. In addition, trigonometry is used in navigation and mapping, as well as in technology such as GPS and radar systems.