Help Identifying ODE: x'' + k(x')^2 + c = 0

• Thread starter sir_manning
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ode
In summary, the conversation discusses an equation x'' + k(x')^2 + c = 0 and the process of identifying it. It is determined to be a second order, non-linear equation that can be converted into a first order, separable equation by setting v = x'. The equation is used to model a falling object subject to wind resistance at high velocities.
sir_manning
Hey

I need help identifying the differential equation: x'' + k(x')^2 + c = 0 . Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by "identifying"? That differential equation could be a model equation for a lot of things! Did you want a specific name for the form or something?

In any event, if you set x' = v you get a first order ODE,

v' + kv^2 + c = 0.

One system that this equation describes is a falling object subject to wind resistance at high velocities, where c would be the acceleration due to gravity, g. (High velocities because at low speeds air resistance tends to go as v instead of v^2).

Last edited:
Mute's dead on. As far as "identifying" is concerned, it is a second order, non-linear equation. As Mute said, letting v= x' you get the first order, separable, differential equation v= -(kv2+ c) or
[tex]\frac{dv}{kv^2+ c}= -tdt[/tex]

That's easily integrable but find x from x'= v may give you an integral that has no simple anti- derivative.

Thanks - it is in fact an equation for a falling object. V = x' and performing a change of variable gave me the answer I needed.

1. What is an ODE?

An ODE, or Ordinary Differential Equation, is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is commonly used in scientific fields to model and predict the behavior of dynamic systems.

2. How do I identify the type of ODE x'' + k(x')^2 + c = 0?

This ODE is a second-order, nonlinear, and autonomous ODE. It is second-order because it contains a second derivative, nonlinear because it contains a squared term, and autonomous because it does not depend explicitly on the independent variable.

3. What is the significance of the constants k and c in this ODE?

The constant k represents the coefficient of the nonlinear term, and c represents the constant term. These constants affect the behavior and solutions of the ODE and can be used to adjust the model to fit real-world data.

4. How do I solve this ODE?

The method for solving this ODE depends on the specific values of k and c. In general, it is a challenging equation to solve analytically, so numerical methods may be necessary. However, if k and c are simple enough, the ODE may be solvable using standard integration techniques.

5. What applications does this ODE have in the scientific world?

This ODE can be used to model a wide range of physical phenomena, such as fluid flow, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits. It is also commonly used in mathematical modeling and engineering to describe the behavior of complex systems.