Linear Regression: Expected Value & Variance of Predicted Values

In summary, the conversation discusses the model of linear regression and how to find the expected value and variance of predicted values given certain observations and a specific value for \sigma^2. The hint is to remember the formula \widehat{Y} = HY and use the properties of expected value and the expected value of Y to find the expected value. To find the variance, the hint suggests using the matrix formula for the covariance matrix in regression and algebraic manipulation.
twoflower

Homework Statement

Consider model of linear regression:

[tex]
Y_i = \beta_0 + x_i \beta_1 + \epsilon_i
[/tex]

i = 1, ..., 5, where [itex]\epsilon_i \sim \mathcal{N}(0, \sigma^2)[/itex] are independent. Find expected value and variance of predicted values [tex]\widehat{Y}_i[/tex] considering that observations are obtained in points 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 (ie. [tex]x_i = i[/tex] for i = 1, ..., 5) and [tex]\sigma^2 = 1[/tex]. Hint: remember that

[tex]
\widehat{Y} = HY
[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]
H = X\left(X^T X\right)^{-1}X^T Y
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt is

[tex]
E \widehat{Y} = \beta_0 + X\beta_1 = (\beta_0 + \beta_1, \beta_0 + 2\beta_1, \beta_0 + 3\beta_1, \beta_0 + 4\beta_1, \beta_0 + 5\beta_1)
[/tex]

Is it correct?

Anyway, even if it is, how do I find the variance and how do I use the hint? :)

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
"Find expected value and variance of predicted values"

Since you know that

[tex]
\widehat Y = X \left(X' X)^{-1}X' Y
[/tex]

you can find

[tex]
E[\widehat Y] = E[X \left(X' X\right)^{-1} X' Y]
[/tex]

Use the properties of expected value and the expected value of [tex] Y [/tex] (unless I'm totally missing something, I don't see how the form of the [tex] x_i [/tex] applies here).

As far as finding the variance of [tex] \widehat Y [/tex], you can use the hint. Write out the
matrix [tex] X [/tex] (first column consists of ones, for the intercept, and you know the values of [tex] x [/tex] to use in the second column), and use the matrix formulas for the covariance matrix in regression to find the variances. Because the [tex] x [/tex] values are consecutive integers, a little algebra in the matrix multiplication will give nice forms for the entries.

1. What is linear regression?

Linear regression is a statistical method used to model the relationship between a dependent variable and one or more independent variables. It assumes that the relationship between the variables can be represented by a straight line.

2. What is the expected value in linear regression?

The expected value in linear regression is the average value of the predicted outcome for a given set of independent variables. It represents the most likely outcome based on the linear relationship between the variables.

3. How is the expected value calculated in linear regression?

The expected value in linear regression is calculated by multiplying the values of the independent variables by their corresponding regression coefficients and adding the intercept term. This gives the predicted outcome for a specific set of independent variables.

4. What is the variance of predicted values in linear regression?

The variance of predicted values in linear regression measures how much the predicted outcomes vary from the expected value. It represents the spread of the data points around the line of best fit.

5. How is the variance of predicted values determined in linear regression?

The variance of predicted values in linear regression is calculated by taking the sum of the squared differences between each predicted value and the expected value, and then dividing by the total number of data points. A lower variance indicates a more accurate model.