Maximum compression of spring.

In summary, the problem at hand involves a block with a known mass and velocity, contacting a spring with a known spring constant on a frictionless surface. The task is to find the equation needed to solve for the distance. The issue of conservation arises, with momentum and mechanical energy potentially being conserved in the case of two masses colliding with a spring between them.
bkhofmann

Homework Statement

I know the mass of the block and it's velocity when it contacts the spring and the spring conststant. It is on a horizontal frictionless surface.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know there is an equation to find the but I just cannot find it in my notes or remember what it is. Can anyone help me out with this one?

Physics news on Phys.org
What's conserved?

The distance if proportional to the force applied.

Momentum is conserved since there is no friction, the blocks would fly off at the same speed.

bkhofmann said:
Momentum is conserved since there is no friction, the blocks would fly off at the same speed.
There's only one block and a spring. (At least, that's what I presume. If not, please state the full problem.) Momentum is not conserved, but something else is.

There were two but they are now "perfecly inelastically together. (is there is such a term) and I know the velocity of that new mass. Kinetic Energy is conserved?

bkhofmann said:
There were two but they are now "perfecly inelastically together. (is there is such a term) and I know the velocity of that new mass. Kinetic Energy is conserved?
Please get in the habit of describing the complete problem, otherwise we are forced to guess what the issue is. So, I'm guessing, the problem is two masses colliding with a spring between them? (Which is quite different from a mass colliding with a fixed spring.) In that case both momentum and mechanical energy are conserved. (Not just kinetic energy, but spring potential energy as well.)

1. What is maximum compression of a spring?

The maximum compression of a spring is the point at which the spring has been compressed to its fullest extent without causing permanent deformation or damage to the spring.

2. How is maximum compression of a spring calculated?

The maximum compression of a spring can be calculated using Hooke's Law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the distance it is compressed or stretched. The equation for maximum compression is x = F/k, where x is the maximum compression, F is the applied force, and k is the spring constant.

3. What factors affect the maximum compression of a spring?

The maximum compression of a spring is affected by several factors, including the material and thickness of the spring, the initial length of the spring, and the applied force. The spring's maximum compression will also vary depending on whether it is being compressed or stretched.

4. Can a spring be compressed beyond its maximum compression?

Yes, a spring can be compressed beyond its maximum compression, but doing so can cause permanent deformation or damage to the spring. This can result in a decrease in the spring's effectiveness and may require the spring to be replaced.

5. How is maximum compression of a spring used in practical applications?

The maximum compression of a spring is crucial in designing and using springs in various applications, such as in mechanical devices and vehicles. Engineers must consider the maximum compression of a spring to ensure it can withstand the intended amount of force and to prevent failure or damage to the spring.