May please have some career advice

In summary, the conversation is about a new member of a Physics forum seeking advice on pursuing a physics degree without taking A level math. Some suggestions include fixing the math weakness by taking a higher level GCSE, doing AS level mathematics, and looking into universities that offer fundamental physics programs for those without A level math. It is mentioned that having a good BSc is important for research and potential teaching opportunities. Lastly, the conversation touches on the importance of putting in effort and mastering basic math and physics concepts before pursuing higher level degrees.
Ant92
Hello, I am new to Physics forum, and i have found that this site offers great advice to those who need it, I am sixteen and have just started A level physics, I am really enjoying it, and i wish to possibly take this to Uni as a undergraduate for further study at Bacholer, masters and maybe some day Phd level, but since i was not allowed to take A level math, since i toke it at foundation level in GCSE, many people are opposed to that idea saying that i probably could not do University Physics it due to this. This has begun to worrie me now and i would like any advice on my issue.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't see why you can't fix your Maths weakness.

Why not do a GCSE higher in Maths this year?

Then next year do AS level mathematics.

The following thread has many tips for doing physics without the full A level:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=253932

There is a University near me that allows those who have not taken A level in math the chance to do fundamental physics which leads into a normal Bsc course, I thought this would be brilliant, But I was just wondering whether i could do this and still possibly go on to higher degrees and research work, and possibly to teach when I have a Bsc?

Ant92 said:
There is a University near me that allows those who have not taken A level in math the chance to do fundamental physics which leads into a normal Bsc course, I thought this would be brilliant, But I was just wondering whether i could do this and still possibly go on to higher degrees and research work, and possibly to teach when I have a Bsc?

No problem. You'll be treated just like any other BSc student. In my experience, no one bothers to look at A level results once you have a BSc. Better have a good BSc for research though! 1st or 2(i). If you slip lower than this then you can still teach - after taking PGCE - or maybe get into research via the back door (doing a taught MSc...)

I was thinking of a Masters as the course allows me to take one year of foundation, and then transfer to any course availabe, general physics Bsc, masters theoretical, etc.

Hi there Ant 92,

Physics requires more effort than high mathematic levels at a Bsc level. Hone into the remedial math as you conceptualize the necessary fundamental physics array and then as you approach your third year look to a course in tensor calculus. Get the basics first then transfer into a master/doctoral program. You should have no problems at all, btw, which school are you attending.

In spite of the title, this is more a question of academic guidance, thus this thread has been moved.

I am currently attending Cardinal Neman Catholic School sixth form, and I am planning to attend Sussex University.

1. What career path should I choose?

Choosing a career path can be overwhelming, but the key is to find something that you are passionate about and that aligns with your skills and interests. Consider taking career assessments, researching different industries, and talking to professionals in fields that interest you to gain a better understanding of your options. Remember, your career path may not be a straight line and it is okay to change directions as you grow and gain new experiences.

2. How do I gain experience in my desired field?

One of the best ways to gain experience in a specific field is through internships, volunteering, or part-time jobs. These opportunities allow you to gain hands-on experience, learn new skills, and make valuable connections. Additionally, attending workshops, conferences, and networking events can also help you gain knowledge and experience in your desired field.

3. Should I pursue further education?

Deciding whether to pursue further education depends on your career goals and the requirements of your desired field. Some careers may require advanced degrees or certifications, while others may value experience and skills. Research the education and experience requirements for your desired career and consider the return on investment before making a decision.

4. How do I stand out in the job market?

In order to stand out in the job market, it is important to differentiate yourself from other candidates. This can be achieved by building a strong personal brand, showcasing your unique skills and experiences, and networking with professionals in your desired field. Additionally, gaining relevant experience, continuously learning and improving your skills, and staying updated on industry trends can also make you a more competitive candidate.

5. How do I balance pursuing my passion with financial stability?

Finding a balance between pursuing your passion and financial stability can be challenging, but it is not impossible. Consider exploring careers that combine your interests and skills, or finding a job in your desired field that can provide financial stability while you work towards your long-term goals. It is also important to have a financial plan and budget in place to help you achieve your goals without sacrificing financial stability.