Not sure if a physics major is right for me. Need insight into lifestyle

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's dilemma between pursuing a physics or engineering major. They express concerns about the job market for physicists and the lack of aerospace engineering programs in their desired university. The expert summarizer suggests that the difference between physics and engineering lies in the motivation for research, and that experimental physicists can still work in practical fields.
STS816
I've been on the fence between a physics major and an engineering major (of some sort) but I have a few problems associated with both.

First off, what is it like to be a physicist? I really don't want to sit around and crunch numbers all day and not actually do anything with all the material I learn. That seems a tad pointless to me. I really enjoy physics and learning how the universe works but I want to be able to do something with all that knowledge. I've also heard the job market isn't exactly great and there is a good chance I won't even end up working in a physics related field. Right now the physicist's lifestyle doesn't sound too appealing.

Now for engineering. I don't know exactly what do to here. I really would like to go to University of Kentucky but aerospace engineering isn't offered there. The closest thing is a certificate for what I think is grad students. Obviously doesn't help me much. I've come across one other college in the very general area that even offers aerospace but it's far too expensive. Aerospace isn't offered anywhere in Kentucky.

So do physicists do anything practical or do they merely think up stuff and leave it to the engineers to apply it?

Physics news on Phys.org
STS816,

I had a similar dilemma between physics and engineering during my undergrad, and was often tempted to switch from physics to engineering. I was, and still am, really into both the amazing science that you study in physics and the fascinating applications you build in engineering.

In the end, it's the questions that motivate research that differentiate between engineering and physics. Physicists search for better understanding of nature and the laws of how things work. Engineers use that better understanding to build things. So, I've found myself happily as an experimental physicist, where I still build a lot of experimental apparatus and use that apparatus to study the laws of nature.

Taking the skills you learn as an experimental physicist would put you in a decent place to work in either industry or a national lab.

In short, many experimental physicists do all sorts of practical stuff, but the motivating factor is usually exploring a realm of the laws of nature that we don't know as well yet.

I can understand your concerns and questions about pursuing a physics major. It is important to carefully consider your interests and goals before making a decision about your major. I would recommend researching and speaking with professionals in both physics and engineering fields to gain a better understanding of what each career path entails.

In terms of the lifestyle of a physicist, it can vary greatly depending on the specific field and job. While some physicists may spend a lot of time crunching numbers and conducting theoretical research, others may work in more hands-on roles such as experimental physics or applied research. Additionally, many physicists work in interdisciplinary teams with engineers and other professionals to apply their knowledge to real-world problems. It may also be helpful to look into internships or job shadowing opportunities to gain a better understanding of what the day-to-day work of a physicist looks like.

Regarding the job market, it is true that the demand for physicists may not be as high as other fields, but there are still many opportunities available in various industries such as technology, healthcare, and defense. Furthermore, a physics degree can provide a strong foundation for many other careers, such as data science, finance, and consulting.

As for engineering, it is important to note that aerospace engineering is just one branch of engineering and there are many other areas of specialization that may be of interest to you. It may also be worth considering pursuing a minor or taking elective courses in aerospace engineering to supplement your physics major. Additionally, many universities offer opportunities for students to participate in research or projects related to aerospace engineering, even if it is not a formal program at the institution.

In conclusion, the decision between a physics major and an engineering major should be based on your interests, strengths, and career aspirations. It is important to gather as much information as possible and to explore all of your options before making a decision. Ultimately, both fields offer exciting and challenging career opportunities, and with hard work and determination, you can find success in either path.

1. What kind of job opportunities are available for physics majors?

Physics majors have a wide range of job opportunities available to them. They can work in research and development, engineering, data analysis, teaching, and many other fields. Some common industries for physics majors include aerospace, defense, healthcare, and technology.

2. What is the typical salary for a physics major?

The salary for a physics major can vary depending on their specific job and industry. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for physicists and astronomers in 2019 was $122,220. However, salaries can range from around $60,000 to over $200,000 depending on experience and location.

3. Is a physics major a good fit for someone who isn't great at math?

Physics is a highly mathematical field, so a strong understanding of math is essential for success. However, many students who struggle with math can still excel in physics with dedication and hard work. There are also resources available such as tutoring and study groups to help improve math skills.

4. What kind of skills do I need to be successful as a physics major?

Aside from a strong foundation in math, successful physics majors also possess critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. They also need to have a deep curiosity and passion for understanding how the world works, as well as the ability to work independently and in teams.

5. What is the typical lifestyle of a physics major like?

The lifestyle of a physics major can vary depending on their specific interests and career goals. However, most physics majors spend a significant amount of time studying, conducting experiments, and working on research projects. They may also have opportunities to attend conferences and present their work. It can be a challenging but rewarding lifestyle for those who have a passion for physics.