Learn Physics: Tips & Advice for AP Students

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulties the speaker is facing in understanding and applying physics concepts in a timely manner. They seek advice on how to improve their learning and are advised to practice past papers to recognize common question patterns. The comparison is made to solving a crossword where one must recognize the type of question being asked.
blayman5
Hello,

I am currently a student in AP Physics. I enjoy the subject but I can not seem to grasp concepts and work on problems in a timely manner. When I work on homework, I can understand what I do some of the time, but when exam time comes, I tend to do poorly and I remember how to solve problems after the exams. I would like some advice on learning physics. Any input is desired.

Physics news on Phys.org
Practice, practice, practice.
There are very few original questions and the same techniques come up in every exam when you learn how to spot them - so do lots of past papers.

So, working a lot of practice problems and observing the common trends would be an ideal way?

Yes - it's a bit like a crossword,you have to recognise the type of question.

The question isn't going to come out and say "use conservation of energy/momentum to find this" or "you can ignore friction/weight of the spring" etc, you have to recognise the question.

Last edited:

1. What is the best way to prepare for the AP Physics exam?

The best way to prepare for the AP Physics exam is to practice solving problems and familiarize yourself with the format of the exam. It is also helpful to review key concepts and equations, and to take practice exams to evaluate your understanding and identify areas that need improvement.

2. What resources are available to help with studying for the AP Physics exam?

There are many resources available to help with studying for the AP Physics exam, including review books, online practice exams, and study guides. Your teacher may also have additional resources or study materials available.

3. How important is it to have a strong foundation in math for AP Physics?

A strong foundation in math is crucial for understanding and succeeding in AP Physics. Many of the concepts and problems involve mathematical equations, so it is important to have a solid understanding of algebra, geometry, and trigonometry.

4. What are some tips for improving problem-solving skills in physics?

Some tips for improving problem-solving skills in physics include breaking down problems into smaller, more manageable parts, practicing regularly, and seeking help when needed. It is also helpful to think critically and logically about the problem and to try different approaches if one method is not working.

5. How can I stay motivated while studying for the AP Physics exam?

Staying motivated while studying for the AP Physics exam can be challenging. One tip is to set manageable goals and reward yourself for reaching them. It can also be helpful to study with a group or find a study partner to keep each other accountable. Additionally, reminding yourself of the importance and potential benefits of doing well on the exam can help keep you motivated.