Water Rocket Project: Troubleshooting Answers & Explanations

In summary, the conversation revolves around a water rocket project and finding values such as initial velocity, maximum height, and maximum range. The conversation also mentions the use of relevant formulas and a diagram to illustrate forces. The person is struggling with the last question about the role of water in making the rocket move. They have attempted to solve the problems but are unsure about their answers.
wsbkp08
1. Homework Statement
Hi, guys.
I did a project but questions are killing me right now.
I was going all the tutorials but I really have no idea.
What we did was water rocket project.
Here are the data
Ttotal - avg. 9.96 sec.
Avg. Apogee - 2.94 sec.

2. Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I need to find the v initial, ymax, and the maximum range.
Here is how I did it

For Vinitial
DeltaY(0) =(Vinitial)(5.88)+(1/2)(-9.8)(5.88)^2
Vinital = 28.8m/s
5.88sec comes from avg. apogeeX2 ------> (2.94)(2)

For Ymax,
Ymax= (Vinital)(time)+(1/2)(-9.8)(time)
(28.8)(2.94)+(1/2)(-9.8)(2.94)^2
= 42.3 m

For maximum Range,
I found out that cos 45 will give me maximum range so

Range=(Vinital)(cos45)(time)
(28.8)(cos45)(5.88)
= 119.7 m

Lastly, my teacher asked, "What role does the water play in making the rocket move?"
He also asked for relevant formulas and a diagram illustrating the forces.
Only thing we learned so far are Horizontal Projectil motion and free fall.
I do not think we ever learned this.
Can you please help me with this? I've been working for entire day!
Thanks guys.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Oh, I realized I had to put what I did.
here is what I did..
for Vinitial,
I did
deltaY=(Vinitial)(5.58)+(1/2)(-9.8)(5.88)^2
and got Vinitial=28.8m/s.
5.88 comes from avg. apogee= 2.94X2=5.58

For Ymax,
I did
Ymax = (28.8)(2.94)+(1/2)(-9.8)(2.94)^2
Ymax = 42.3 m

Lastly, for Range
Since Range max, I found that cos 45 will give me maximum range
So,
Range=(Vinital)(cos45)(time)
(28.8)(cos45)(5.88)
Range=119.7m.

Here is how i did it.
But honestly,
on the last problem with "what role does the water play in making the rocket move?"
I abs. have no idea.
Thanx guys.

1. Why isn't my water rocket launching or flying straight?

There could be several reasons for this issue. First, check that the fins are properly attached and are not too large or too small for the rocket. Also, make sure that the center of gravity is located at least one body diameter in front of the center of pressure. Additionally, check that the nozzle is not clogged and the pressure is optimal for launch.

2. How can I increase the altitude of my water rocket?

To increase the altitude, you can try increasing the amount of water and/or air pressure used in the rocket. Also, make sure the rocket is as light as possible and the fins are streamlined for maximum aerodynamics. Additionally, launching on a windy day can also help increase altitude.

3. Why is my water rocket not reaching the expected height?

There could be several reasons for this. First, make sure that the rocket is properly constructed and there are no leaks. Also, check that the launch angle is between 45-60 degrees for optimal height. Additionally, the temperature and humidity can affect the performance of the rocket, so consider launching on a cooler and less humid day.

4. How do I prevent my water rocket from exploding?

To prevent explosions, make sure to use a strong and sturdy bottle for the rocket. Also, avoid over-pressurizing the rocket and always use a launch pad or stand to keep the rocket stable during launch. Additionally, regularly check for any wear and tear on the rocket and replace any damaged parts.

5. Can I reuse my water rocket?

Yes, you can reuse your water rocket as long as it is in good condition. After each launch, make sure to check for any damage and repair or replace any parts as needed. Also, make sure to thoroughly dry the rocket before storing it to prevent any mold or mildew growth. Regular maintenance and proper storage can help prolong the lifespan of your water rocket.