Some compatibility questions about DirectX 10, Windows Vista/7, and multi-core CPUs.

• Calculators
  • Thread starter The_Absolute
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Windows
In summary, DirectX 10 graphics cards, such as the ATI Radeon HD4870 X2, and the NVidia GeForce GTX-280, are compatible with, and would be able to run DirectX 9 or lower applications. However, there are no guarantees. Older games written for previous versions of DirectX may not run on newer hardware. OpenGL will also run fine on these cards.
The_Absolute
Hi, I was wondering if DirectX 10 graphics cards, such as the ATI Radeon HD4870 X2, and the NVidia GeForce GTX-280 are compatible with, and would be able to run DirectX 9 or lower applications. I play a lot of video games on my PC, such as Battlefield 2, and Diablo 2 expansion. With windows 7 coming out, I'd like to know if these older games would run on new hardware and operating systems. I know, I tried installing a windows 95 game on Windows XP, and it didn't work. Oh, and I was told that if I played Battlefield 2 on a multi-core CPU, I would first have to disable the other cores leaving only one operating in order to play it. Is that true? Would video games such as Battlefield 2, and other older programs utilize more than a single core? Or is it not in the game's programming to?

Computer science news on Phys.org

Why do you need a 280 to run Diablo 2?

Anyway, the answer is maybe.

DirectX 10 cards are designed to be backwards compatible with games written in previous versions of DirectX. But there are no guarantees.

I'm running on a dual boot with Windows XP and then a linux distro, I can run Battlefield 2 fine on my Quad core without making any adjustments.

My Graphics card (8800GTX - DX10 Capable) also runs games at DX9
All current DX10 cards have full backwards compatibility down to at least DX8.
OpenGL will also run fine on them.

Hope that answered your question :)

Don't infer anything from your bad experience with a Win95 game. The reason has nothing to do with DirectX.

Win95 still allowed programs to get direct access to hardware and even allowed Dos programs to run as they would in Dos. Especially games used these possibilities. Win Nt4-2k-Xp-2k3-V-2k8 prohibit both, so older games won't run there.

For a nephew who has such older games, I made a double boot, with a good W2k for normal use, and a Win ME for some games. ME costs about 3 euros on eBay. The main drawback is that W2k (or Xp or Vista) is less secure and stable then, because ME has access to it, and because you must format in FAT32.

By the way... Direct hardware access and unprotected DLL were the two reasons that made W95-98-98se-Me unstable (as well as Fat32), so the dual boot squanders much of the advantage of the Nt family.

About your W95 game: did you try the compatibility option in Xp?

Hi,

I have a radeon hd 4870 1GB and would like to know if my graphic card that it's directx 10.1 is compatible with the windows 7.

Lacp said:
Hi,

I have a radeon hd 4870 1GB and would like to know if my graphic card that it's directx 10.1 is compatible with the windows 7.

The 4870's are compatible with Windows 7, 32 and 64-bit. ATI currently has Catalyst drivers which support them.

http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx

ATI Radeon™ HD 4800 Series
Operating Systems Supported
The latest version of the Catalyst™ software suite is designed to support the following
Microsoft Windows platforms:
Windows 7 32-bit version
Windows 7 64-bit version
Windows Vista 32-bit version
Windows Vista 64-bit version
http://www2.ati.com/relnotes/Catalyst_98_release_notes.pdf

1. What is DirectX 10 and how is it different from previous versions?

DirectX 10 is a collection of application programming interfaces (APIs) developed by Microsoft for handling multimedia and games on Windows operating systems. It is different from previous versions in that it introduces new features and improvements for better graphics and performance, including enhanced 3D rendering, improved shader model, and support for multi-core CPUs.

2. Can DirectX 10 be used on Windows Vista and Windows 7?

Yes, DirectX 10 is compatible with both Windows Vista and Windows 7. However, some features may be limited on older hardware or operating systems. It is recommended to have the latest version of Windows and up-to-date graphics drivers for optimal performance.

3. What are the benefits of using multi-core CPUs with DirectX 10?

Multi-core CPUs allow for better utilization of resources and can improve performance in DirectX 10 applications that are designed to take advantage of multiple cores. This can lead to smoother gameplay, faster loading times, and better overall graphics and processing capabilities.

4. Are there any compatibility issues with using DirectX 10 on multi-core CPUs?

There may be compatibility issues with older games or applications that were not designed to utilize multi-core CPUs. In some cases, this can result in performance issues or even crashes. However, most modern games and applications are optimized for multi-core CPUs and should not have any compatibility issues.

5. Is DirectX 10 necessary for gaming on Windows Vista/7?

No, DirectX 10 is not necessary for gaming on Windows Vista/7. Many games will still run on older versions of DirectX, but may not have access to all the features and improvements offered by DirectX 10. However, for optimal performance and graphics, it is recommended to use the latest version of DirectX on compatible hardware.