Group velocity of single wave?

In summary, the group velocity of a wave is the velocity at which the envelope or changes in amplitude propagate through space. It is represented by v_{g} = \frac{d\omega}{dk}, and for a wave function in the form f(x) = cos(kx - \omega t), the wave velocity is equal to the group velocity. However, if the wavenumber is a function of angular frequency, then the wave function represents a wavepacket rather than a single wave.
kasse

Homework Statement

Find the group velocity of the wave [tex]f(x) = cos(b\sqrt{\omega}x - \omega t)[/tex]

2. The attempt at a solution

What? I thought group velocity was an interference phenomenon...The velocity of the beats produced when two waves with slightly different frequencies interfere. What is meant by the group velocity of one wave?

Anyway, I know that [tex]v_{g} = \frac{d\omega}{dk} = \frac{d(k^{2}/b^{2}}{dk} = 2v[/tex] which is the correct answer. I still don't understand what I've found however...

Physics news on Phys.org
The group velocity of a wave function is the velocity of which the envelope (or changes in amplitude) propagate through space. And yes, the definition which you quoted above is only valid for wave packets (superposition of two or more waves), but what's to say that your wave function above, does not represent a wave packet?

I thought waves written in the form [tex]f(x) = cos(kx - \omega t)[/tex] represents one single wave and that the wave velocity equals the group velocity for such waves. Maybe this does not count when k depends on [tex]\omega[/tex]?

Last edited:
kasse said:
I thought waves written in the form [tex]f(x) = cos(kx - \omega t)[/tex] represents one single wave and that the wave velocity equals the group velocity for such waves. Maybe this does not count when k depends on [tex]\omega[/tex]?
Seems you have figure out yourself :approve:.

If k=k(ω), that is if the [angular] wavenumber is a function of angular frequency or ω = ω(k) then the wavefunction f(x,t) represents a wavepacket rather than an individual wave.

1. What is group velocity?

The group velocity of a single wave is the speed at which the overall shape or envelope of the wave moves through a medium. It is different from the phase velocity, which is the speed at which individual points on the wave oscillate.

2. How is group velocity different from phase velocity?

Group velocity and phase velocity are two different ways of measuring the speed of a wave. Group velocity takes into account the motion of the whole wave, while phase velocity only considers the motion of individual points on the wave.

3. What factors affect the group velocity of a wave?

The group velocity of a wave is affected by the properties of the medium through which it is traveling, such as its density and elasticity. It is also dependent on the frequency and wavelength of the wave.

4. Can the group velocity of a wave exceed the speed of light?

No, according to the laws of physics, the group velocity of a wave cannot exceed the speed of light in a vacuum. However, in certain materials, such as photonic crystals, the group velocity of light can be slowed down significantly.

5. Why is the concept of group velocity important in wave physics?

Group velocity is important in wave physics because it helps us understand the overall behavior of a wave, such as how it propagates and interacts with other waves. It also has practical applications in fields like optics, where controlling the group velocity of light is crucial for technologies like fiber optics and lasers.