Help with velocity/redshift/distance law

• Thread starter Dave Rutherfo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law
In summary: RutherfordUsing the current limits of observation for redshift, 0 to 6, my values for recession velocity (my v), for a given redshift (z), are less than Morgan's calculator's corresponding values for recession velocity (Morgan's v) using the values 0.27, 0.73, and 71 for the other quantities that you gave above.Here are the comparisons I came up with (all velocities x c):z ... Morgan's v ... my v---------------------------0 ... 0.00 ... 0.001 ... 0.78 ... 0.692 ... 1.24 ... 1.103 ... 1.53 ... 1.394 ... 1.73 ... 1
Dave Rutherfo
I've derived a velocity/redshift/distance law,

[tex]

v = c \ln(1 + z) = H_0 d_0

[/tex]

where [itex]v[/itex] is the recession velocity, [itex]c[/itex] is the speed of light, [itex]z[/itex] is the cosmological redshift, [itex]H_0[/itex] is the present Hubble constant, and [itex]d_0[/itex] is the present distance of the source.

I would like to relate my law to the data, hopefully to show that the
expansion rate of the universe is not accelerating, thus eliminating the
need to invoke dark energy. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

For the derivation of this law and more, please click on the following link

http://www.softcom.net/users/der555/horizon.pdf

Thanks,
Dave Rutherford

Space news on Phys.org
Dave Rutherfo said:
I've derived a velocity/redshift/distance law,

[tex]

v = c \ln(1 + z) = H_0 d_0

[/tex]

where [itex]v[/itex] is the recession velocity, [itex]c[/itex] is the speed of light, [itex]z[/itex] is the cosmological redshift, [itex]H_0[/itex] is the present Hubble constant, and [itex]d_0[/itex] is the present distance of the source.

I would like to relate my law to the data, hopefully to show that the
expansion rate of the universe is not accelerating, thus eliminating the
need to invoke dark energy. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

For the derivation of this law and more, please click on the following link

http://www.softcom.net/users/der555/horizon.pdf

Thanks,
Dave Rutherford

Your proposed equation looks wrong, Dave. Check it against the recession speeds given by Morgan's calculator. The link is in my sig. Be sure to enter the usual parameters 0.27, 0.73, and 71 for present matter fraction, lambda fraction, and Hubble rate.

When I do that and put in z=10, I get that the recession speed is 2.28 c.
You would have the recession speed be ln(11) c. That is 2.40 instead of 2.28. Well that is not too bad!

Now when I put in z=1090, I get that the recession speed is 3.3.
But you would have it be be ln(1091) = 7.0. That is way off. Either Morgan's calculator, or your formula, or both must be being pushed too far.

Maybe your formula is all right as a rough approximation as long as you just apply it to small redshifts, and will therefore suit your purposes (depending on how you intend to use it.) But as a rule I don't think it works. The relation between recession speed and redshift is not that simple.

Part of your equation is right though. Hubble law does say v = Hd. Hubble law does not talk directly about redshift. It gives the recession speed.

Last edited:
marcus said:
Your proposed equation looks wrong, Dave. Check it against the recession speeds given by Morgan's calculator. The link is in my sig. Be sure to enter the usual parameters 0.27, 0.73, and 71 for present matter fraction, lambda fraction, and Hubble rate.

When I do that and put in z=10, I get that the recession speed is 2.28 c.
You would have the recession speed be ln(11) c. That is 2.40 instead of 2.28. Well that is not too bad!

Now when I put in z=1090, I get that the recession speed is 3.3.
But you would have it be be ln(1091) = 7.0. That is way off. Either Morgan's calculator, or your formula, or both must be being pushed too far.

Maybe your formula is all right as a rough approximation as long as you just apply it to small redshifts, and will therefore suit your purposes (depending on how you intend to use it.) But as a rule I don't think it works. The relation between recession speed and redshift is not that simple.

Part of your equation is right though. Hubble law does say v = Hd. Hubble law does not talk directly about redshift. It gives the recession speed.

Thanks for the reply, Marcus.

Using the current limits of observation for redshift, 0 to 6, my values for recession velocity (my v), for a given redshift (z), are less than Morgan's calculator's corresponding values for recession velocity (Morgan's v) using the values 0.27, 0.73, and 71 for the other quantities that you gave above.

Here are the comparisons I came up with (all velocities x c):

z ... Morgan's v ... my v
---------------------------
0 ... 0.00 ... 0.00
1 ... 0.78 ... 0.69
2 ... 1.24 ... 1.10
3 ... 1.53 ... 1.39
4 ... 1.73 ... 1.61
5 ... 1.87 ... 1.79
6 ... 1.99 ... 1.95

If we only go by these results (which are based on the current limits of observation for redshift), my values seem to indicate that the universal expansion rate is either not accelerating or accelerating more slowly than the currently accepted rate. Correct? If yes, how can I determine which it is? If no, why not?

Thanks,
Dave

What is the velocity/redshift/distance law?

The velocity/redshift/distance law, also known as the Hubble's law, is a relationship between the distance and the redshift of an object in the universe. It states that the farther an object is from us, the faster it is moving away from us, and this can be observed through the shift in the object's light spectrum towards the red end.

How was the velocity/redshift/distance law discovered?

The velocity/redshift/distance law was first discovered by American astronomer Edwin Hubble in the 1920s. He observed the redshift in the light spectrum of distant galaxies and found a correlation between their distance and velocity, which led to the development of this law.

What is the significance of the velocity/redshift/distance law?

The velocity/redshift/distance law is significant because it provides evidence for the expansion of the universe. It also allows us to estimate the distance of objects in the universe based on their redshift, providing us with a way to measure the vast distances of the cosmos.

Does the velocity/redshift/distance law apply to all objects in the universe?

The velocity/redshift/distance law is observed in most galaxies and objects in the universe, but there are exceptions. For example, objects that are close enough to each other to be gravitationally bound, such as galaxies in a cluster, do not follow this law.

How is the velocity/redshift/distance law related to the Big Bang theory?

The velocity/redshift/distance law is related to the Big Bang theory because it is evidence for the expansion of the universe, which is a key component of the theory. The observations of the redshift in the light spectrum of distant galaxies support the idea that the universe is expanding and has been since the Big Bang.