What is Damped Harmonic Oscillation?

In summary: The net result is to slow down the motion of the magnet. So in theory, by adding magnets to the oscillation object, you can create a more damped oscillator.
-EquinoX-
I am not sure that I understand what damped harmonic oscillation is different from simple harmonic oscillation, can someone please explain that to me? I read wikipedia and still doesn't get it...

Physics news on Phys.org
-EquinoX- said:
I am not sure that I understand what damped harmonic oscillation is different from simple harmonic oscillation, can someone please explain that to me? I read wikipedia and still doesn't get it...
An simple harmonic oscillator is a harmonic oscillator where the only force acting on it is the restoring force. A damped harmonic oscillator on the other hand, has an additional damping or frictional force, such as drag, acting on it.

so therefore in a damped harmonic oscillation the oscillation will eventually stop because of the friction? in theory...

-EquinoX- said:
so therefore in a damped harmonic oscillation the oscillation will eventually stop because of the friction? in theory...
Eventually, yes. Unless of course it is a driven, damped oscillator, that is the case when there is some external periodic force applied.

hmm..well I am actually doing this experiment and I can get the friction of the oscilattion really2 small.. however my TA's said to put magnets on top of the oscillation object, do you know why?

-EquinoX- said:
hmm..well I am actually doing this experiment and I can get the friction of the oscilattion really2 small.. however my TA's said to put magnets on top of the oscillation object, do you know why?
Perhaps if you described the apparatus, I could be of more help.

well I am using an air tracks and on top of it I have a glider. It says that magnets are use to create the damping force . A moving magnet creates an induced current in nearby conductors, in this case the air track. This induced current creates a magnetic field that opposes the motion of the original magnet.

What is damped harmonic oscillation?

Damped harmonic oscillation is a type of oscillation or back-and-forth motion that occurs when a system experiences a restoring force that is proportional to the displacement of the system from its equilibrium position, but also experiences a damping force that reduces the amplitude of the oscillation over time.

What causes damped harmonic oscillation?

Damped harmonic oscillation is caused by the combination of a restoring force, such as gravity or a spring, and a damping force, which can be due to friction, air resistance, or other external factors. The damping force acts in the opposite direction of the restoring force and dissipates energy from the system, causing the oscillations to decrease in amplitude over time.

What are the types of damped harmonic oscillation?

There are three main types of damped harmonic oscillation: underdamped, critically damped, and overdamped. Underdamped oscillations occur when the damping force is relatively small, resulting in a gradual decrease in amplitude. Critically damped oscillations occur when the damping force is just enough to bring the system back to equilibrium without any oscillation. Overdamped oscillations occur when the damping force is large, causing the system to return to equilibrium slowly without any oscillation.

What is the equation for damped harmonic oscillation?

The equation for damped harmonic oscillation is x(t) = Ae^(-bt)cos(ωt+φ), where x(t) is the position of the oscillating object at time t, A is the amplitude, b is the damping coefficient, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase angle. This equation describes the motion of a damped harmonic oscillator over time.

What are the applications of damped harmonic oscillation?

Damped harmonic oscillation has many practical applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, and biology. Some examples include the motion of a pendulum, the vibrations of a guitar string, the movement of a car's suspension system, and the behavior of a neuron firing in the brain. Understanding damped harmonic oscillation is crucial in designing and analyzing systems that involve oscillatory motion.