What is the acceleration of a cylindrical shell rolling down an inclined plane?

In summary, the conversation discusses a hollow cylindrical shell rolling down an inclined plane with an angle of 30 degrees with the horizontal. The initial speed of the shell is zero and the center of mass has a speed determined by the equation v = √(6gh/5). The linear acceleration of the center of mass can be calculated using the equation a = gsin(α) and friction must also be taken into account. Replacing the shell with a solid cylinder will not change the outcome, but the moment of inertia for a thin cylindrical shell is not correctly given in the conversation.
Amlung

Homework Statement

A hollow cylindrical shell with mass M = 100 g and radius R = 5 cm rolls without
slipping down an inclined plane making an angle [tex]\alpha = 30[/tex]° with the horizontal.

(a) If the initial speed of the shell is zero, what will be the speed of its center of

(c) Calculate the linear acceleration of the center of mass of the shell. How long
does it take the shell to roll 1:5 meters along the plane with zero initial velocity?

(d) If the shell is replaced with a solid cylinder what will be the answer to the
previous question?

Homework Equations

[tex] I =\frac{2}{3}MR^{2} [/tex]

[tex] K = \frac{1}{2}Mv^{2} + \frac{1}{2}I\omega^{2} [/tex]

[tex] \omega = \frac{v}{r} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

(a)

[tex] mgh = \frac{1}{2}Mv^{2} + \frac{1}{2}I\omega^{2} [/tex]

[tex] gh = \frac{1}{2}v^{2} + \frac{1}{3}R^{2}\omega^{2} [/tex]

[tex] gh = \frac{1}{2}v^{2} + \frac{1}{3}R^{2}\frac{v^{2}}{R^{2}} [/tex]

[tex] gh = v^{2}(\frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{3})[/tex]

[tex] v = \sqrt{\frac{6gh}{5}} [/tex]

(b)

[tex] \sum F_{x} = ma = mgsin(\alpha)[/tex]

[tex]a = gsin(\alpha)[/tex]

(d)

According to my equation it shouldn't change anything...

I don't think b/c are correct though

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Physics/8-01Physics-IFall1999/VideoLectures/detail/embed24.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Amlung said:

Homework Equations

[tex] I =\frac{2}{3}MR^{2} [/tex]
That's not the rotational inertia of a thin cylindrical shell.

(a)

[tex] mgh = \frac{1}{2}Mv^{2} + \frac{1}{2}I\omega^{2} [/tex]

[tex] gh = \frac{1}{2}v^{2} + \frac{1}{3}R^{2}\omega^{2} [/tex]

[tex] gh = \frac{1}{2}v^{2} + \frac{1}{3}R^{2}\frac{v^{2}}{R^{2}} [/tex]

[tex] gh = v^{2}(\frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{3})[/tex]

[tex] v = \sqrt{\frac{6gh}{5}} [/tex]
Correct the moment of inertia and redo.

(b)

[tex] \sum F_{x} = ma = mgsin(\alpha)[/tex]

[tex]a = gsin(\alpha)[/tex]
Gravity is not the only force acting parallel to the incline. What about friction?

(d)

According to my equation it shouldn't change anything...
But in part a you found that the speed does depend on the moment of inertia. Which means that you made a mistake in your thinking somewhere.

totally forgot about friction thanks xD
and wrong moment of inertia...

thx ^^

1. What is rotation of rigid bodies?

Rotation of rigid bodies refers to the movement of a solid object around a fixed axis, without any deformation or change in shape. It is a type of motion in which all points of the object move in circular paths around the axis of rotation.

2. What is the difference between rotation and translation?

Rotation involves the movement of an object around a fixed axis, while translation involves the movement of an object from one point to another in a straight line. Rotation results in a change in orientation, while translation results in a change in position.

3. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is the rate of change of angular displacement of a rotating body. It is a vector quantity, with direction perpendicular to the axis of rotation, and is measured in radians per second.

4. How is rotational motion related to angular momentum?

Rotational motion results in the conservation of angular momentum, which is the product of the moment of inertia and angular velocity. This means that in the absence of external torque, the angular momentum of a system remains constant.

5. What are some real-world examples of rotation of rigid bodies?

Some examples of rotation of rigid bodies include the spinning of a top, the rotation of the Earth on its axis, the movement of a spinning wheel on a bicycle, and the rotation of a propeller on an airplane.