Relating Work Function and Wavelength

In summary, the longest wavelength of light that will cause electrons to be emitted from barium is 5.02e-7m, and the relationship between frequency and wavelength is that as frequency increases, wavelength decreases.
ri0t

Homework Statement

Barium has a work function of 2.48 eV. What is the longest wavelength of light that will cause electrons to be emitted from barium?

Homework Equations

W = hf○
hf = W + Ek
E = hf = hc/λ

The Attempt at a Solution

1 eV/1.6e-19 C = 2.48/X
X = 3.97e-19

W=hf○
3.97e-19/6.63e-34f
f=5.99e14 Hz

Now I'm lost...Anybody care to help? :)

Physics news on Phys.org
So what's the relationship between frequency and wavelength? You've already used it (look at equation 3).

hage567 said:
So what's the relationship between frequency and wavelength? You've already used it (look at equation 3).

I think I've figured out the problem using v=fλ, 3.0e8 = 5.98e14λ, λ=5.02e-7m.

Also the answer to your question is that as frequency increases, wavelength decreases.

Would be awesome if you could tell me I'm on the right track, and of course if I'm not, as well.

Yes, you are right.

Thanks much.

What is the work function of a material?

The work function of a material is the minimum amount of energy required to remove an electron from the surface of the material. It is typically measured in electron volts (eV).

How does the work function relate to the wavelength of light?

The work function is directly related to the wavelength of light through the photoelectric effect. When light with a certain wavelength hits the surface of a material, it can transfer enough energy to electrons to overcome the work function and cause them to be emitted from the material.

What is the significance of the work function in the photoelectric effect?

The work function is a critical factor in the photoelectric effect because it determines the minimum energy of light required to cause the emission of electrons. If the energy of the light is lower than the work function, no electrons will be emitted.

How does the work function vary between different materials?

The work function can vary greatly between different materials, depending on their atomic structure and composition. Metals tend to have lower work functions, while non-metals have higher work functions.

Can the work function of a material be changed?

Yes, the work function of a material can be changed by altering its surface conditions, such as by applying a coating or introducing impurities. External factors like temperature and electric fields can also affect the work function.