Looking for radio control components - wireless stepper motors

In summary: The power supply has to be batteries contained in one or more of the arms, right?You can't hook a power cord onto that morphing beast!Yep. It will be hand-held as it morphs.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
I'm ready to begin proof of concept experiments on the Mk IV Tesseract, following on the limited success of https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=205845"

What I need is a motor that
- is reasonably compact (we're talking <2 centimeters) though weight is not a factor
- can be operated remotely from my computer (probably a communications component attached to each motor)
- can extend a piston several inches, whether directly or through some sort of conversion such as rotary-to-translative gearing
- is affordable considering I'll need 32 of them

Can anyone give me pointers?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
That post that you linked to gave me a headache the first time that I saw it, and this was no better. :tongue:
If you're willing to use a gearbox, as your post indicated, then is it necessary for these to be stepper motors? Wouldn't any reversible DC unit be adequate?
Personally, my first thought for something like this would be low-pressure/volume hydraulics, possibly in combination with solenoid stop-blocks for the pistons.
On the other hand, you're the Science Advisor and I'm drunk. :biggrin:

Dave, I found these. There is no price unfortunately.

http://www.globalspec.com/FeaturedProducts/Detail/Linear_stepper_motors/77689/0

Thats a tall order. The communications part shouldn't be to big of an issue, this is assuming your a BAMF with a hot air gun. http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/categories.php?c=16

But not only do you need just your motor and communication, but you also need your motor controller and power supply. There is no way that all this will fit in a 2 cm2 cube unless you have some very special manufacturing equipment. If I were you I would just throw the motor idea out the window. I would start looking at other avenues such as muscle wire or possibly even "linear motors". You haven't really specified what kind of force or displacement you will need.

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=8751

DaveC426913 said:
I'm ready to begin proof of concept experiments on the Mk IV Tesseract, following on the limited success of https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=205845"

What I need is a motor that
- is reasonably compact (we're talking <2 centimeters) though weight is not a factor
- can be operated remotely from my computer (probably a communications component attached to each motor)
- can extend a piston several inches, whether directly or through some sort of conversion such as rotary-to-translative gearing
- is affordable considering I'll need 32 of them

Can anyone give me pointers?

Fun video, and interesting project. A couple thoughts:

-- Don't over-constrain yourself by setting the size of the TS and working into the motor/power source size. Start with the motor and power source sizes, and work out to the TS size. Sure, it will be bigger than you'd originally envisioned, but so what, it will work.

-- The tubes all have to be able to change length, right? So you have two pieces that slide into each other to contract in size?

-- Since it has no fixed points, the power supply has to be batteries contained in one or more of the arms, right? You can't hook a power cord onto that morphing beast!

-- Will it be hand-held as it morphs? Same as the power cord -- no way to suspend that morphing beast from a cable. I guess you could let it crawl across the tabletop as it morphs...

Fun project, Dave.

Topher925 said:
Thats a tall order. The communications part shouldn't be to big of an issue, this is assuming your a BAMF with a hot air gun. http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/categories.php?c=16
Awesome link! Though I have no idea what a BAMF ...

Oh. Right. I got it...

But why a hot air gun? Don't you mean soldering iron?

Topher925 said:
But not only do you need just your motor and communication, but you also need your motor controller and power supply. There is no way that all this will fit in a 2 cm2 cube

Motors come in that small easily. They can be powered by watch batteries. (It doesn't have to have much endurance).

The motors will power the struts which need to triple in length from min to max. Smaller is better, but I will scale up as needed. So far, my prototypes are ~5", so the total strut change is from 1.5" - 4.5".

berkeman said:
-- Don't over-constrain yourself by setting the size of the TS and working into the motor/power source size. Start with the motor and power source sizes, and work out to the TS size. Sure, it will be bigger than you'd originally envisioned, but so what, it will work.
Yep. You're thinkin' what I'm thinkin'. I provided the dimensions as a "most optimistic" first start. Don't want people to be offering motors the size of my fist...

berkeman said:
-- The tubes all have to be able to change length, right? So you have two pieces that slide into each other to contract in size?
Yep. The MkII uses that way. The MkIII uses elastic ribbon. There are other rigid ways, such as a rack & pinion system.

berkeman said:
-- Since it has no fixed points, the power supply has to be batteries contained in one or more of the arms, right? You can't hook a power cord onto that morphing beast!
Yep yep. It's impossible, even in theory, to wire up a power supply. The thing turns inside out; it would wind up the cord.

berkeman said:
-- Will it be hand-held as it morphs? Same as the power cord -- no way to suspend that morphing beast from a cable. I guess you could let it crawl across the tabletop as it morphs...

Fun project, Dave.
Yep yep yep.

You have an excellent grasp of my project.:smile:

Last edited:

1. What are radio control components?

Radio control components are electronic devices that allow for wireless control of motors and other equipment. They typically consist of a transmitter, receiver, and motor controller.

2. How do wireless stepper motors work?

Wireless stepper motors use radio frequency signals to communicate with a motor controller, which controls the movement of the motor. The motor controller receives instructions from a transmitter and sends signals to the motor, causing it to rotate in precise increments.

3. What are the advantages of using wireless stepper motors?

Wireless stepper motors offer increased flexibility and convenience as they eliminate the need for physical wires and allow for remote control. They also provide more precise and accurate control over motor movements.

4. What types of applications are wireless stepper motors commonly used for?

Wireless stepper motors are commonly used in robotics, industrial automation, and hobby projects such as remote-controlled cars and drones. They can also be found in medical equipment, cameras, and other electronic devices.

5. How do I choose the right radio control components for my project?

The right radio control components will depend on your specific project needs, including the type and size of the motor, range of control, and desired features. It is important to research and compare different options to find the best fit for your project.