Resonace Frequency of Bodies/Materials

• Thread starter jze
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Frequency
In summary, the conversation is about calculating the mechanical resonance frequencies of materials, specifically glued wood, and different shapes such as an inverted funnel or bell shape with a thickness of 1-2 cm. The person is seeking help in determining the factors involved in calculating the frequencies and mentions wanting to use a tuning fork to create harmonic resonance. They also mention the difficulty of their chosen material and shapes and consider starting with something simpler.
jze
Hi there,

I'm would like to know how to calculate mechanical resonance frequencies of material and form. ie. the materials I'm choosing first are glued wood, as they are much easier to cut/shape. The form would be shaped into an inverted funnel like or bell shaped of different sizes and hollow on the inside. The ideal thickness would be around 1 to 2 cm.

Firstly how do i go about calculating mechanical resonance frequency of wood and most importantly how does the size and shape of the form effects the mechanical resonance frequencies? How do I determine the factors involved?

Briefly- I would like to have a tuning fork, being place on the form to create harmonic resonance frequency, not only a louder sound, but also the right frequencies that will vibrate the body, hopfully to create harmonics.

naturally i can do a trail and error method, but as this work is rather strenuous, i would like some form of formula to determine what will happen before i start the particle work.

any form of help would be greatly appreicated.

best
Dennis

Physics news on Phys.org
Dennis I don't know what level you are at but you seem to have chosen very difficult shapes and material to investigate the difficulties being both theoretical and experimental.May I suggest that you go for something simpler.

hi there,

thanks for the link <atyy>. this is almost something I'm looking for.

yes <DadFace> you might be right, this will take some time and experimentation to build.

I will write with more about my findings and questions.
thanks

What is resonance frequency?

Resonance frequency is the natural frequency at which an object or material vibrates with the greatest amplitude when excited by an external force.

How is resonance frequency determined?

The resonance frequency of a body or material is determined by its physical properties, such as mass, stiffness, and damping. These properties can be measured or calculated to determine the resonance frequency.

What are the effects of resonance frequency on objects?

Resonance frequency can cause objects to vibrate with a large amplitude, which can lead to structural damage or failure. It can also amplify sound waves and cause objects to make noise or produce a humming sound.

How can resonance frequency be utilized?

Resonance frequency can be utilized in various applications, such as in musical instruments, where the resonance frequency of different materials creates specific sounds. It is also used in engineering to design structures that can withstand vibrations and minimize their effects.

Can the resonance frequency of a material be altered?

Yes, the resonance frequency of a material can be altered by changing its physical properties, such as its mass or stiffness. This can be achieved through techniques such as adding dampers or changing the shape or composition of the material.