Understanding Vector Products and Properties: Sorting Fact from Fiction

In summary, the following statements are true: A vector product can result in an inverted direction, the x-component of a vector can be positive, negative, or zero, if a vector is perpendicular to another then their dot product is zero, and the magnitude of a vector is always positive. The statement that the scalar or dot product of two vectors can be positive, negative, or zero is false.
x^2

Homework Statement

Which of the following are true?
A) A vect. prod. C=C vect. prod. A
B) The x-component of a vector can be +, -, or zero
C) If A=BxC and C=64i, then Ax=0
D) If A perp to B, then B dot A =0
E) The magnitude of a vector is sometimes negative.
F) The scalar (or dot) product of two vectors can be +, -, or zero.

Homework Equations

BxC = BC*cos(theta) where theta = angle between vectors

The Attempt at a Solution

Below are my attempts at proving or disproving each statements.

A) False: Using the right hand rule, the direction of the resulting product will be inverted when comparing AxC and CxA
B) True: A vector could cover horizontal distance to the right (positive), to the left (negative), or be a vertical vector with an x component of zero.
C) False: 64i could potentially result in an answer where Ax = 64i
D) True: BxA = BAcos(90) = BA*0 = 0
E) False: A magnitude is the absolute value of a vector and therefore can never be negative.
F) False: A scalar product must always be positive as all scalars are positive--they would be the absolute value of a vector.

I tried answering B & D as true and the rest false but this was not correct. I am not sure which statements I am confused on. I'm fairly confident of my answers to A, B, D, and E while a little less sure on C and F.

Thanks,
x^2

Physics news on Phys.org
C)Since A=BXC. A is perpendicular to B and C. Since C = 64i is along x axis, Ax is zero.
F) A.B = ABcos(theta). ANd cos(theta) can be +, - or zero.

To emphasize more about F)

define 2 vectors A = (-1, 1) and B = (1, -1)

[tex] A \cdot B = -1 - 1 = -2 [/tex]

Certainly negative.

Thanks for the replies! C definitely makes sense when using the right hand rule. For some reason I was still relating Ci to Ax without thinking that they were perpendicular. As for F I see what they are asking for--I guess I was thinking that scalar had to mean magnitude but in actuality they just meant dot product.

Thanks for the help,

x^2

1. What are vector products and properties?

Vector products and properties refer to the mathematical operations and characteristics of vectors, which are mathematical quantities that have both magnitude (size) and direction.

2. What is the dot product of two vectors?

The dot product of two vectors is a mathematical operation that results in a scalar value. It is calculated by multiplying the magnitudes of the two vectors and the cosine of the angle between them. The dot product can be used to determine if two vectors are perpendicular or parallel to each other.

3. How is the cross product of two vectors calculated?

The cross product of two vectors is a mathematical operation that results in a new vector that is perpendicular to both of the original vectors. It is calculated by taking the cross product of the magnitudes of the two vectors and the sine of the angle between them. The direction of the resulting vector can be determined using the right-hand rule.

4. What are some properties of vectors?

Some properties of vectors include commutativity (changing the order of the vectors in an operation does not affect the result), associativity (changing the grouping of vectors in an operation does not affect the result), and distributivity (distributing a scalar value across a vector operation).

5. How are vectors used in science?

Vectors are used in many areas of science, including physics, engineering, and computer science. They are used to represent physical quantities such as force, velocity, and acceleration, and to solve problems involving motion, forces, and energy. Vectors are also used in computer graphics to represent the position and direction of objects in a 3D space.