How Can I Create Rotating ROV Thrusters for Precise Movements?

In summary, the school's ROV propulsion component would benefit from using two thrusters that can rotate a full 360 degrees. The thrusters would be powered by already-waterproof bilge pumps, and would need to be gearboxed down to reduce the torque.
madacho
Hey, I'm in charge of the propulsion component of our school's ROV team, and I was thinking of having just two thrusters on the entire ROV that are able to rotate (preferably) a full 360 degrees, so that it can turn, strafe, move up and down, etc... all with only two thrusters.

My first idea involved using waterproof stepper motors, but finding reliable but waterproof motors ended up being more trouble than it was worth. The only US ones I could find were industrial-grade ones that were a few thousand dollars each, and the only other ones were all based from China.

My thrusters are powered by already-waterproof bilge pumps, and I was thinking I could just use smaller bilge pumps to provide the rotating capability. But since they aren't meant for precise movements, any suggestions as to how I should do this? I was thinking some kind of gearbox to gear down the smaller motor a bit, but there is the issue of I want to have the thruster point straight up, or at 90 degree angles, etc...

Anyone ever do something like this or seen something like this? Any help would be extremely useful.

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
How about steppers inside the pressure housing with their shafts protruding through seals? That way you don't need water proof motors and you can still have precise control of the thrusters' angles.

hmmm that could work... any ideas as to how to make a waterproof seal though? or what stepper motors to use?

thanks

Download the parker O-ring handbook for designing a rotating shaft seal. That's the easy part. Choosing stepper motors shouldn't be hard either. I'd try to model your system and at least come up with a close value for holding torque, etc.

ok ill try to find that, and order some reliable stepper motors too. our school mainly has solidworks, but I've more or less used the stress test feature before so hopefully i can figure it out.

the project is due by the end of March, so hopefully I can pull this together quickly.

thanks!

1. How does rotating a ROV thruster affect its performance?

Rotating a ROV thruster can greatly affect its performance. By changing the direction of the thruster, the ROV's movement and maneuverability can be altered. For example, rotating a thruster to face downwards can help the ROV descend faster, while rotating it to face upwards can help it ascend quicker.

2. What is the purpose of rotating a ROV thruster?

The main purpose of rotating a ROV thruster is to control the direction and movement of the ROV. By rotating the thrusters, the ROV can move in different directions and perform various tasks, such as navigating through tight spaces, staying in position, or performing specific tasks like sample collection or inspection.

3. How is the rotation of a ROV thruster controlled?

The rotation of a ROV thruster is typically controlled through a joystick or control panel by the ROV operator. This allows for precise and real-time adjustments to be made while the ROV is in operation.

4. Are there any limitations to rotating a ROV thruster?

Yes, there are some limitations to rotating a ROV thruster. The amount of rotation and the direction it can be rotated may be limited by the design and placement of the thruster on the ROV. Additionally, the amount of thrust generated by the thruster may also be affected by the rotation, so operators must carefully consider the impact on the ROV's overall performance.

5. Can rotating a ROV thruster cause any damage?

If done properly and within the limitations of the thruster, rotating a ROV thruster should not cause any damage. However, if the rotation is forced or exceeds the capabilities of the thruster, it can potentially cause damage to the thruster or the ROV itself. It is important for operators to be aware of the limitations and capabilities of the thrusters and to use caution when rotating them.