Question integrating |f(z)||dz| over a contour C

• Thread starter opticaltempest
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrating
In summary, the task is to compute the integral \int_{C}^{}{|f(z)||dz|} along the contour C given by the curve y=x^2 using endpoints (0,0) and (1,1), where f(z)=e^{i\cdot \texrm{arg}(z)}. The approach involves using the fact that for all complex numbers z, |e^{i\cdot \texrm{arg}(z)}|=1, and representing C as \gamma(t)=t+it^2 for 0\leq t\leq 1. The result is a real integral \int_{0}^{1}{\sqrt{1+4t^2}}dt.
opticaltempest

Homework Statement

I want to compute [tex]\int_{C}^{}{|f(z)||dz|}[/tex] along the contour C given by the curve [tex]y=x^2[/tex] using endpoints (0,0) and (1,1). I am to use [tex]f(z)=e^{i\cdot \texrm{arg}(z)}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that for all complex numbers z, [tex]|e^{i\cdot \texrm{arg}(z)}}|=1[/tex]. So now I am looking at the integral [tex]\int_{C}^{}{1|dz|}[/tex]

Is the approach I take below correct?

A complex representation of [tex]C[/tex] can be given by [tex]\gamma (t)=t+it^2[/tex] for [tex]0 \leq t \leq 1[/tex]. Then [tex]\gamma^{'}(t)=1+i2t[/tex]. We have

[tex]\int_{C}^{}{|f(z)||dz|}[/tex]

[tex]=\int_{0}^{1}{\gamma^{'}(t)\bigg|\frac{dz}{dt}\bigg||dt|}[/tex]

[tex]=\int_{0}^{1}{(1+i2t)|dt|}[/tex]

[tex]=[t+it^2]_{t=0}^{t=1}[/tex]

[tex]=1+i[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a real integral. The result can't have an i in it. dz=d(t+it^2)=dt*(1+i2t). |dz|=dt*|1+i2t|.

OK, I should have had [tex]|\gamma^{'}(t)|[/tex], instead of [tex]\gamma^{'}(t)[/tex].

So the original integral becomes [tex]\int_{0}^{1}{\sqrt{1+4t^2}}dt [/tex] or would I have
[tex]\int_{0}^{1}{\sqrt{1+4t^2} \cdot \sqrt{1+4t^2}dt}[/tex] ?

Last edited:
The first choice looks just fine.

Ok, I see why. Thank you very much!

1. What does "Question integrating |f(z)||dz| over a contour C" mean?

The notation "Question integrating |f(z)||dz| over a contour C" refers to a mathematical concept in complex analysis, specifically the integration of a function f(z) along a specific contour C in the complex plane. The absolute value bars around f(z) indicate that the function may have both real and imaginary parts.

2. How is the integral of a complex function over a contour different from a regular integral?

The main difference between the two types of integration is that in complex analysis, the integral is taken along a specific path or contour in the complex plane, rather than a straight line. This allows for the consideration of more complex and interesting functions, as well as a deeper understanding of their behavior.

3. What is the significance of the "dz" in the notation for this integral?

The "dz" in this notation represents the infinitesimal element of length along the contour C. This is necessary for calculating the integral, as it takes into account the varying direction and length of the contour as it is being integrated.

4. How is the value of the integral affected by the choice of contour C?

The choice of contour C can have a significant impact on the value of the integral, as the contour determines the path along which the function is being integrated. Different contours can result in different values for the integral, and in some cases, the integral may not exist for certain contours.

5. What are some real-world applications of integrating a complex function over a contour?

The concept of integrating a complex function over a contour has numerous applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. For example, it can be used to calculate the work done by a complex force field, or the circulation of a fluid flow. It is also used in the branch of mathematics known as complex analysis, which has many practical applications in fields such as fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and signal processing.