How Can I Disable the Boot Manager and Directly Load into Windows 7?

• Thread starter only_huce
  • Start date
In summary, the individual who installed Windows 7 Beta on their computer is experiencing difficulty with the boot manager giving them the option to choose between Windows 7 and an earlier version of Windows. They attempted to set the default OS to Windows 7 and decrease the timeout to 0, but this caused the computer to boot into the earlier version of Windows. Additionally, they have deleted all files from the previous Windows installation, resulting in a blue error screen and immediate shutdown when attempting to boot into the earlier version of Windows. They are seeking suggestions on how to remove the listing of the previous Windows from the boot manager and get rid of the boot manager altogether. However, since they are unable to load into any OS, their best option may be to
only_huce
I recently installed Windows 7 Beta on my computer, however I have encountered a problem. Every time my computer starts up the boot manager immediately comes up and gives me the option to either choose Windows 7 or an earlier version of Windows. I want to get rid of the boot manager and have it directly load into Windows 7.

I had someone tell me to set the default OS to Windows 7 and set the time to choose an OS to 0 under start up options but when I did that, for some reason it went to the earlier version of windows. At the same time, I deleted all files from my previous windows installation so whenever it boots into a previous version of windows I receive a blue error screen and my computer immediately shuts down.

Does anyone have any suggestions to get rid of the listing of the previous windows on the boot manger? Also I would like to get rid of the boot manager on start up all together.

Computer science news on Phys.org
only_huce said:
Does anyone have any suggestions to get rid of the listing of the previous windows on the boot manger?
Given your condition,you simply can't. Whoever told you to decrease the timeout to 0, did an utterly wrong thing. I wish you had posted here before following his/her advice.

Getting rid of boot manager by decreasing timeout to 0 is one of the greatest mistakes one can commit on dual OS pc. Had you not done that, you could have loaded into windows 7 easily even if your other OS files are corrupt. The default time is 30s, I don't recommend decreasing that below 5s.

There are two processes to set the default OS:

1. Change default OS from Control panel:
2. Edit a file through command prompt (I don't recommend this if you can do #1, as bcdedit can often cause problems):
As you can see, both options need you to at least load anyone OS. Since you can't load into any OS, perhaps the only option is to reset your hard disk and load another OS. Get hold of a good computer mechanic to do that for you.

What is a boot manager and why would I want to disable it?

A boot manager is a program that controls the startup process of your computer. It allows you to choose which operating system or application to load when you turn on your computer. You may want to disable it if you want your computer to boot directly to a specific operating system without having to make a selection.

How do I disable the boot manager on my computer?

The process for disabling the boot manager may vary depending on your computer's operating system. However, in most cases, you can access the boot manager settings by pressing a specific key (such as F12 or Esc) during startup. From there, you can select the option to disable the boot manager.

Will disabling the boot manager cause any problems with my computer?

Disabling the boot manager should not cause any major problems with your computer. However, it is important to note that you will no longer be able to select which operating system or application to load during startup. This may be an issue if you have multiple operating systems installed on your computer.

Can I re-enable the boot manager after disabling it?

Yes, you can re-enable the boot manager by accessing the settings again and selecting the option to enable it. Keep in mind that this process may be different depending on your computer's operating system.

Is there a reason why I should permanently disable the boot manager?

In most cases, there is no reason to permanently disable the boot manager unless you have a specific need for your computer to boot directly to a specific operating system or application. It is typically recommended to keep the boot manager enabled for convenience and flexibility in case you need to access different operating systems or applications on your computer.