Derivation of Euler-Lagrange Equation

In summary, the Euler-Lagrange equation is a mathematical equation that states that the derivative of a function with respect to its variable alpha does not involve x. This is because x is held constant for that derivative.
Prologue
I am stuck in trying to understand the derivation of the Euler-Lagrange equation. This mathematical move is really bothering me, I can't figure out why it is true.

[tex]\frac{\partial f(y,y';x)}{\partial\alpha}=\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\frac{\partial y}{\partial\alpha}+\frac{\partial f}{\partial y'}\frac{\partial y'}{\partial\alpha}[/tex]

Why is it not:

[tex]\frac{\partial f(y,y';x)}{\partial\alpha}=\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\frac{\partial y}{\partial\alpha}+\frac{\partial f}{\partial y'}\frac{\partial y'}{\partial\alpha}+\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\frac{\partial x}{\partial\alpha}[/tex]

Or better yet:

[tex]\frac{df(y,y';x)}{d\alpha}=\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\frac{d y}{d\alpha}+\frac{\partial f}{\partial y'}\frac{d y'}{d\alpha}+\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\frac{d x}{d\alpha}[/tex]

Edit: I think I have found some sound reasoning. That y is a function of x and alpha. So the derivative of f w.r.t. alpha does not involve x. In fact x is held constant for that derivative. That is why dy/d(alpha) and dy'/d(alpha) are partials and not total derivatives.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Prologue said:
Edit: I think I have found some sound reasoning. That y is a function of x and alpha. So the derivative of f w.r.t. alpha does not involve x. In fact x is held constant for that derivative. That is why dy/d(alpha) and dy'/d(alpha) are partials and not total derivatives.

I don't think you would say that [itex]\partial f/\partial x = 0[/itex]. Instead you are allowing y to vary with alpha (for all and any values of x), but x is not a function of this variation.

I don't know if you've seen it, but Feynman's lectures (volume II in what he calls the "entertainment" chapter)
has some nice simple examples of these ideas.
They cut the complexity out of the picture and treat some simple concrete cases. One of these simplest examples was a pure kinetic Lagrangian density, like the following (he probably included the mass and factor of one half but I've been lazy) :

[tex]
S = \int_{a}^b \dot{y}^2 dx
[/tex]

Let

[tex]
y = \bar{y} + \alpha
[/tex]

Here [itex]\bar{y}[/itex] is the optimal solution that you are looking for, and [itex]\alpha(a) = \alpha(b) = 0[/itex] (variation vanishes at the end points).

Taking derivatives
[tex]
\dot{y} &= \dot{\bar{y}} + \dot{\alpha}
[/tex]

[tex]
\begin{align*}
S
&= \int_{a}^b \left(\dot{\bar{y}} + \dot{\alpha} \right)^2 dx \\
&= \int_{a}^b \left(\dot{\bar{y}}^2 + 2 \dot{\alpha}\dot{\bar{y}} + \dot{\alpha}^2 \right) dx \\
&= \int_{a}^b \left(\bar{\dot{y}}^2 - 2 {\alpha}\ddot{\bar{y}} - {\alpha}\ddot{\alpha} \right) dx \\
\end{align*}
[/tex]

and for the derivative to be zero
[tex]
\begin{align*}
0 &= \left. \frac{dS }{d\alpha} \right\vert_{\alpha = 0} \\
&= -2 \int_{a}^b \ddot{\bar{y}} dx \\
\end{align*}
[/tex]

Dropping the overbar, you have for the desired solution to the variation

[tex]
\ddot{y} = 0
[/tex]

(particle moves with constant velocity in absence of force).

EDIT: In retrospect, the point of my example may not be clear. When x is the dependent variable (y = y(x)), x is not varied, instead it is y that is varied, and I was hoping the example showed why you don't have a [itex]\partial x/\partial \alpha[/itex] as in the second two equations you listed.

Last edited:
I think perhaps a better understanding might come from writing
[tex]
y = \bar{y} + \alpha \eta(x)
[/tex]

Thank you, everyone always seems to come through for me here. I am not sure why I have to be reminded to check the feynman lectures, it should be one of the first things I think of by now.

What is the Euler-Lagrange equation?

The Euler-Lagrange equation is a fundamental equation in the field of calculus of variations. It is used to find the function or path that minimizes or maximizes a given functional. It is named after mathematicians Leonhard Euler and Joseph-Louis Lagrange.

What is the derivation of the Euler-Lagrange equation?

The Euler-Lagrange equation can be derived using the calculus of variations. The key idea is to find the stationary points of the functional by setting the functional's derivative with respect to the unknown function equal to zero. This results in a second-order differential equation, which is known as the Euler-Lagrange equation.

What is the significance of the Euler-Lagrange equation?

The Euler-Lagrange equation is significant because it provides a powerful tool for solving optimization problems. It is used in various fields, including physics, engineering, and economics, to find the path or function that minimizes or maximizes a given functional. It is also a crucial tool for understanding the principles of classical mechanics and quantum mechanics.

What are the assumptions made in the derivation of the Euler-Lagrange equation?

The derivation of the Euler-Lagrange equation assumes that the functional is continuous and differentiable. It also assumes that the boundary conditions are fixed, and the functional is independent of higher-order derivatives of the unknown function. These assumptions are necessary for the Euler-Lagrange equation to hold.

Can the Euler-Lagrange equation be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, the Euler-Lagrange equation can be extended to higher dimensions. In higher dimensions, the Euler-Lagrange equation takes the form of a system of partial differential equations. It is commonly used in fields such as fluid dynamics and quantum field theory to find the equations of motion for a system.