Suggestions for Term Paper?

In summary, when considering applications in the field of telecommunications engineering, the most interesting topics for a term paper in Calculus II would be either numerical analysis or sequence and series. For a focus on the physics side, numerical analysis could be explored in relation to simulating systems of differential equations, while series could be discussed in the context of algorithm complexities and techniques for evaluating them. Alternatively, a paper on Fourier series could incorporate both series and numerical analysis. However, there may be limited material for a term paper on polar coordinates, making it less appealing as a topic.
Peon666
I have following topics and I have to choose one among them for the term paper in Calculus II:

1- Numerical Analysis.
2- Sequence and Series.
3- Polar Coordinates.
4- Finding Areas through Integration.

What topic would make the most interesting paper considering the applications?

P.S = I'm doing Telecommunication Engineering major, so application in Telecommunications would be more important.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess for the given major, its best you either do 1 or 3...

Numerical analysis is always needed for engineers, and polar coordinates is also always needed for engineers, especially when you do some theoretical design etc.

I have no idea if you could find enough to write a term paper on for 3 or 4, so I would say 1 or 2 would be best. But I also have no idea what a term paper in CalculusII is supposed to be like.

When you say telecommunications, do you mean the physics side (E&M, random signals etc.) or the computer science side (algorithms, data structures, etc.)

If it's the former, then numerical analysis would be best. You could talk about how numerical analysis can be used in simulating certain systems of differential equations or something or other.

If it's the latter, series would be better. You could talk about algorithms' complexities and techniques for evaluating series.

Or perhaps you could write a slightly more advanced paper on Fourier series? You could work both series AND numerical analysis into that.

Well, personally I'm interested in either 'Sequence and infinite Series' (in relation to signal generation and control) or 'Polar Coordinates'. And I'm on the physics side more than programming.

Thanks for suggestions, all of you.

Unless you have a great idea for polar coordinates, it seems like there's no a whole lot to write about, and most of it's pretty uninspiring

1. What are some tips for choosing a topic for a term paper?

When choosing a topic for your term paper, it is important to select a subject that interests you and has enough research available. You can also consider current events, controversial issues, or topics related to your field of study. It is also helpful to brainstorm and narrow down your topic to a specific aspect or question that you want to explore.

2. How do I start my research for a term paper?

The first step in starting your research for a term paper is to gather background information on your chosen topic. This can include reading textbooks, articles, and reputable websites. You can also consult with your professor or a librarian for guidance on finding credible sources. Once you have a basic understanding of your topic, you can begin to search for more specific and in-depth sources.

3. How can I organize my ideas and research for a term paper?

One way to organize your ideas and research for a term paper is by creating an outline. This will help you structure your paper and ensure that all of your main points are included. You can also use note-taking methods, such as creating a concept map or using index cards, to keep track of your research and ideas. It is important to organize your thoughts and research in a way that makes sense to you and helps you effectively communicate your argument.

4. How do I properly cite my sources in a term paper?

To properly cite your sources in a term paper, you should follow the citation style specified by your professor or department. This could be APA, MLA, Chicago, or another style. Make sure to keep track of all the sources you use in your research and use in-text citations and a works cited or references page to give credit to the original authors. Plagiarism is a serious offense, so it is important to cite your sources accurately and consistently.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid in a term paper?

Some common mistakes to avoid in a term paper include plagiarism, poor organization and structure, lack of evidence and support for arguments, and not following the assignment instructions or citation style guidelines. It is important to thoroughly proofread and revise your paper to catch any errors before submitting it. It can also be helpful to have someone else read your paper and provide feedback. Remember to give yourself enough time to complete the paper and seek help from your professor or a writing center if needed.