What Are the Potential and Kinetic Energies of a Swinging Wrecking Ball?

In summary: L*cosθ. In summary, the potential energy of the wrecking ball in relation to its lowest position is 4140 J. The kinetic energy when it falls back to the vertical position will also be 4140 J. The speed of the wrecking ball is 5.12m/s.
jaron

Homework Statement

a wrecking ball, with a mass of 315kg, hangs from a crane on 10.0m of cable. if the crane swings the wrecking ball so that the angle that the cable makes with the vertical is 30', what is the potential energy of the wrecking ball in relation to its lowest position?
What will be the kinetic energy of the wrecking ball when it falls back to the vertical position?
What will be the speed of the wrecking ball?

Homework Equations

i think i will need to find the distance between the ball and the wall sin30'(10m)
Ek = 1/2mv^2
Eg = mgh

the two questions before i am having a hard time with cause i believe i need the final velocity before hitting wall (the speed in this case) before i can solve the others.
but i could be totally wrong (wuldnt be the first time, ;)

The Attempt at a Solution

sin30'(10) = 5m (this is the distance from the ball to the wall.
after that i do: Ek' + Eg' = Ek + Eg
and i am lost because i know there is something i am not doing but don't know what.

Ek' + Eg' = Ek + Eg
1/2mv^2 + mgh = 1/2mv^2 + mgh (mass canceled)
1/2v^2 + (-9.81)(5) = 1/2(0) + 9.81(0) (1/2 canceled)
v^2 = 49.1
v = 7m/s
this is the speed of the wrecking ball that i get.

the answers in my textbook are:
- Eg = 4140 J
- Ek = 4140 J (these two make sense because the two equal one another always
- V = 5.12m/s
---------------------------------------
any help is always appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
sin30'(10) = 5m (this is the distance from the ball to the wall.

Make a drawing and be a little more careful. That is the horizontal distance. But it is not the vertical distance the ball is above the point of impact. It's the vertical distance that determines the m*g*h

i had tried cos 30'(10) = 8.6m
but i figured since the actual movement was the horizontal distance you would assume it to be the height (like a horizontal fall)?

and with that i just end up getting 9.2m/s for my speed. still wrong

jaron said:
i had tried cos 30'(10) = 8.6m
but i figured since the actual movement was the horizontal distance you would assume it to be the height (like a horizontal fall)?

and with that i just end up getting 9.2m/s for my speed. still wrong

If you drew the picture you would see that L*cosθ is the length from the top. But potential energy is how high the bottom of L it is, so what you are interested in is L*(1 - cosθ)

What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the stored energy an object has due to its position or condition.

What are the different types of potential energy?

There are several types of potential energy, including gravitational potential energy, elastic potential energy, and chemical potential energy.

How is potential energy different from kinetic energy?

Potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position, while kinetic energy is the energy an object has due to its motion.

What factors affect potential energy?

The factors that affect potential energy include the mass of the object, the height or distance from the ground, and the force acting on the object.

How is potential energy used in real-world applications?

Potential energy is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as hydroelectric power plants, wind turbines, and elastic potential energy in springs for various mechanical devices.