Calculus with logs and natural logs

In summary, the conversation is about the confusion surrounding the integrals and differentials of log and ln. The person is looking for clarification on whether log x refers to the natural logarithm or if it has a different base. They also mention that ln x is equivalent to log x divided by log e. The speaker suggests providing a proof for further understanding and notes that the use of log with base 10 is becoming less common in math.
brandy
im confused as to what the integrals and differentials of log and ln are.

i looked up the derivative of log x and it said it was 1/x
so then the integral of 1/x should be log x but i thought it was ln x
im so confused!
please help me

just say
integral of log x
differential of log x

integral of 1/x
differential of 1/x

integral of ln x
differential of ln x

and i will be happy.

... and possibly a proof if ur bothered.

Physics news on Phys.org
btw i do know that ln x = log x / log e.

but log x / log e does not = log x / log 10
and nowhere did i see that the log had a base e.

When you write [itex]\log x[/itex], what base logarithm is that, to you? A lot of people will use the convention that [itex]\log x[/itex] means the natural logarithm, the same thing as [itex]\ln x[/itex]. If they want to write a logarithm to a different base, they'll specify it explicitly (as in [itex]\log_{10} x[/itex], the base 10 logarithm). That's what you're seeing when you look up the derivative of [itex]\log x[/itex].

To add to what diazona said. Here mathematicians always mean ln x when they write log x (without specifying the base) and physicists and engineers tend to always write ln x for the log with base e and log x for the log with base 10. So you always have to pay attention to what kind of literature you're reading and/or what kind of problems you're solving. If a text tells you that d/dx log x=1/x you immediately know they mean the log with base e.

"Common logarithm", base 20, were originally used to facilitate computation. With calculators that is no longer necessary and common logs are becoming less "common". It has long been the case that "log" was used to mean natural logarithms in advanced math and, I suspect, that usage is becoming more common in "lower" mathematics as "common" logarithms become less used.

1. What is the difference between logarithms and natural logarithms?

Logarithms are the inverse of exponential functions and have a base of 10. Natural logarithms, also known as ln, have a base of e (approximately 2.718) and are used to solve problems involving continuous growth and decay.

2. How are logarithms and natural logarithms used in calculus?

Logarithms and natural logarithms are used in calculus to simplify complex equations and to solve problems involving exponential and logarithmic functions. They are also used to find the derivatives and integrals of these functions.

3. What are the properties of logarithms and natural logarithms?

The properties of logarithms and natural logarithms include the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and change of base rule. These properties allow for simplification and manipulation of logarithmic equations.

4. How do you solve equations involving logarithms and natural logarithms?

To solve equations involving logarithms and natural logarithms, you can use the properties of logarithms to rewrite the equation in a simpler form. Then, you can solve for the variable using algebraic techniques.

5. What are some real-world applications of calculus with logs and natural logs?

Calculus with logs and natural logs has many real-world applications, including calculating interest rates, population growth, radioactive decay, and pH levels in chemistry. It is also used in economics, physics, and engineering to model and analyze various phenomena.