Complex Analysis: Inverse Laplace Transform

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the Laplace transform of a piecewise function and using the Bromwich integral to find the inverse Laplace transform. The issue arises when the inverse Laplace transform is not correct, but it is determined that the Laplace transform itself is piecewise and the inverse Laplace transform should also be piecewise. The correct inverse Laplace transform is given as a function with two parts, one for x<1 and one for x>1.
Niles

Homework Statement

Hi all.

I have found the Laplace transform of the following piecewise function:

[tex]
f(x) = \left\{ {\begin{array}{*{20}c}
{0\,\,\,\,{\rm{for}}\,\,\,\,x < 0} \\
{x\,\,\,\,{\rm{for}}\,\,x \in (0;1)} \\
{0\,\,\,\,{\rm{for}}\,\,\,\,x > 1} \\
\end{array}} \right.
[/tex]

I get the Laplace transform to be

[tex]
\overline f (s) = \frac{{ - \left( { - 1 + e^{ - s} + e^{ - s} s} \right)}}{{s^2 }}.
[/tex]

Now I wish to find the inverse Laplace transform, and this is given by the Bromwich integral:

[tex]
f(x) = - \frac{1}{{2\pi i}}\left[ {\int\limits_{\lambda - i\infty }^{\lambda + i\infty } {\frac{{ - e^{st} }}{{s^2 }}ds + \int\limits_{\lambda - i\infty }^{\lambda + i\infty } {\frac{{e^{s(t - 1)} }}{{s^2 }}ds + } \int\limits_{\lambda - i\infty }^{\lambda + i\infty } {\frac{{e^{s(t - 1)} }}{s}ds} } } \right].
[/tex]

Doing these integrals, I end up with f(x) being x for x<1 and 0 for x>1, which is not correct. I have gone through the calculations many times, and I do not believe I have made an error. Here's my reasonings:

1) For the first integral, I close the line by a semi-circle in the left half-plane, and this integral gives me -x.

2) For the second and third integral, I close the line by a semi-circle in the right half-plane for x<1, and this gives me 0, since there are no poles.

For x>1 I close the line in the left halfplane, and I get x.So, as stated earlier, I end up with f(x) being x for x<1 and 0 for x>1, and my reasoning has been 100% valid so far. Can you tell me what is wrong here?
Niles.

Physics news on Phys.org
Homework EquationsThe Bromwich integral:f(x) = - \frac{1}{{2\pi i}}\left[ {\int\limits_{\lambda - i\infty }^{\lambda + i\infty } {\frac{{ - e^{st} }}{{s^2 }}ds + \int\limits_{\lambda - i\infty }^{\lambda + i\infty } {\frac{{e^{s(t - 1)} }}{{s^2 }}ds + } \int\limits_{\lambda - i\infty }^{\lambda + i\infty } {\frac{{e^{s(t - 1)} }}{s}ds} } } \right].The Attempt at a SolutionI believe the issue here is that you are not taking into account the fact that the Laplace transform of a piecewise function is itself piecewise. That is, the inverse Laplace transform of your Laplace transform should be a piecewise function with two parts: one for x<1 and one for x>1. For x<1, the inverse Laplace transform should be f(x) = \frac{{ - \left( { - 1 + e^{ - s} + e^{ - s} s} \right)}}{{s^2 }} = x. For x>1, the inverse Laplace transform should be f(x) = 0. Thus, the final inverse Laplace transform should be f(x) = \left\{ {\begin{array}{*{20}c} {x\,\,\,\,{\rm{for}}\,\,x \in (0;1)} \\ {0\,\,\,\,{\rm{for}}\,\,\,\,x > 1} \\\end{array}} \right.

1. What is the purpose of the inverse Laplace transform in complex analysis?

The inverse Laplace transform is used to find the original function from its Laplace transform. It is an important tool in solving differential equations and understanding the behavior of systems in engineering, physics, and other fields.

2. How is the inverse Laplace transform calculated?

The inverse Laplace transform is typically calculated using a table of known Laplace transforms or by using integral calculus. In some cases, partial fraction decomposition and other techniques may also be used.

3. What is the relationship between the Laplace transform and the inverse Laplace transform?

The Laplace transform and inverse Laplace transform are inverse operations of each other. The Laplace transform converts a function from the time domain to the frequency domain, while the inverse Laplace transform converts it back from the frequency domain to the time domain.

4. Can the inverse Laplace transform be used to solve any type of differential equation?

No, the inverse Laplace transform is only applicable to linear, constant coefficient differential equations. Nonlinear or time-varying equations cannot be solved using the inverse Laplace transform.

5. Are there any limitations to using the inverse Laplace transform?

Yes, the inverse Laplace transform may not exist for some functions with complex singularities or if the Laplace transform does not converge. In these cases, other techniques such as the Fourier transform may be used.