Finding Real Numbers for Complex Number Division

• Thread starter Saladsamurai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Complex
In summary, the conversation discusses finding real numbers c and d such that 1/(a+bi) = c+di, with the suggestion to use complex conjugates. Equating real and imaginary parts helps to find the values of c and d in terms of a and b. The distinction between the imaginary number i and the imaginary part of a complex number is also clarified.
Saladsamurai
Suppose that a and b are real numbers, not both 0. Find real numbers c and d such that

[tex]\frac{1}{a+bi}=c+di[/tex]

What do they mean find c & d? That's two unknowns is it not?

Anyway. My attempt:

[tex]\begin{array} \frac{1}/({a+bi})=c+di\\ \Rightarrow (a+bi)(c+di)=1\\\Rightarrow ac-bd+(ad+bc)i=1\\\Rightarrow \frac{1+bd-ac}{ad+bc}=i\end{array}[/tex]

Now I know that I could square both sides to get rid of i, but I am not sure how whether that will help or hurt.

Physics news on Phys.org
Squaring won't get rid of the i. Use complex conjugates. Multiply the left side by (a-bi)/(a-bi). Equate real and imaginary parts.

Dick said:
Squaring won't get rid of the i. Use complex conjugates. Multiply the left side by (a-bi)/(a-bi). Equate real and imaginary parts.

Okay. But why won't squaring both sides of my last line get rid of i? I mean, it will leave me dead in the water, but the RHS will surely be -1 right? (Just want to be sure i am not missing something big here)

If I multiply the original EQ by the conjugate I get

[tex]\frac{a-bi}{a^2+b^2}=c+di[/tex]

I am not sure what you mean by equate the real and imaginary parts? Sorry, I have never really used complex numbers :redface:

on the LHS, I have the complex number [tex]\frac{a}{a^2+b^2}+\frac{-b}{a^2+b^2}i[/tex]

Does that form help my plight?

Sure. The real part of the left side is a/(a^2+b^2), the real part of the right side is c. So c=a/(a^2+b^2). (a,b,c,d are REAL). Now equate the imaginary parts of both sides. You are supposed to find c and d in terms of a and b.

Ohhhhh. i see where my confusion lies. a and be are real numbers, BUT we refer to the quantity (b*i) as the imaginary PART right?

i is the only imaginary number but b*i is the imaginary part

If you have a complex number a+ib, then a is the real part and b is the imaginary part not ib.

In other words, the imaginary part is the coefficient of i. That means that both the real part and the imaginary part are real numbers.

and bi is an imaginary number, not only i.

Unfortunately, you can find as many authoritative statements that the "imaginary part" of a+ bi is "bi" as you can that it is "b". Fortunately, it is not a critical distinction.
If
[tex]\frac{a- bi}{a^2+ b^2}= \frac{a}{a^2+ b^2}- \frac{bi}{a^2+ b^2}= c+ di[/tex]
then
[tex]\frac{a}{a^2+ b^2}= c[/tex]
and
[tex]\frac{-b}{a^2+ b^2}= d[/tex]
no matter what you call them!

1. What are complex numbers?

A complex number is a number that contains both a real part and an imaginary part. The imaginary part is represented by the letter "i", which is defined as the square root of -1. Complex numbers are typically written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part.

2. How are complex numbers used in real life?

Complex numbers are used in many areas of science and engineering, such as in electrical engineering, signal processing, and quantum mechanics. They are also used in financial modeling and in computer graphics to represent 3D shapes and animations.

3. What is the difference between a complex number and a real number?

A real number is a number that can be represented on a number line and contains only one part, the real part. A complex number, on the other hand, contains both a real part and an imaginary part and cannot be represented on a number line. Real numbers are a subset of complex numbers.

4. How do you add and subtract complex numbers?

To add or subtract complex numbers, you simply add or subtract the real parts and the imaginary parts separately. For example, (3 + 2i) + (5 + 4i) = 8 + 6i. Similarly, (3 + 2i) - (5 + 4i) = -2 - 2i.

5. How do you multiply and divide complex numbers?

To multiply complex numbers, you use the FOIL method (first, outer, inner, last), just like you would for binomials. For example, (3 + 2i)(5 + 4i) = 15 + 12i + 10i + 8i^2 = 15 + 22i - 8 = 7 + 22i. To divide complex numbers, you use the conjugate of the denominator to eliminate the imaginary part in the denominator and then simplify the expression. For example, (5 + 4i) / (3 + 2i) = (5 + 4i)(3 - 2i) / (3 + 2i)(3 - 2i) = (15 - 10i + 12i - 8i^2) / (9 - 6i + 6i - 4i^2) = (7 + 2i) / 13.