Solve the differential equation

In summary, the given equation is a first order linear ODE with constant coefficients. The standard method for solving such equations involves separating out the "homogeneous part" and finding a solution using the "characteristic equation". The general solution is then the solution to the homogeneous part added to a single solution to the entire equation.
Wardlaw
Having a slight problem with this question.

Solve the differential equation when di/dt+2i=sin3t, i=0 when t=0

For my answer i get i= 1/13(2sin3t-3cos3t+3e^2t).

However the answer at the back of the textbook has 3e^-2t.

Any ideas??

Physics news on Phys.org
Wardlaw said:

Any ideas??
Looks a lot like homework to me!

Well, for one thing, if i(t)= (1/13)(2sin(3t)- 3cos(3t)+ 3e^(2t)) then i'= (1/13)(6 cos(3t)+ 9sin(3t)+ 6e^(2t)) which is not anything like "sin(3t)"!

Please show HOW you got that answer.

HallsofIvy said:
Looks a lot like homework to me!

Well, for one thing, if i(t)= (1/13)(2sin(3t)- 3cos(3t)+ 3e^(2t)) then i'= (1/13)(6 cos(3t)+ 9sin(3t)+ 6e^(2t)) which is not anything like "sin(3t)"!

Please show HOW you got that answer.

Not homework. FUN! Question taken from exercise XX from Calculus made easy ( Silvanus P Thomson)

Welcome to PF!

Hi Wardlaw! Welcome to PF! :smile:
Wardlaw said:

Both your answer and the one in the book are obviously wrong (3e-2t ≠ 0 when t = 0). :frown:

Are you looking at the right answer?

He's talking about how after you use integration factors, your c value has e^-2t as opposed to e^2t.

Remember that when you divide by e^2t, you get e^-2t.

This is not a homework question! This example was taken from Silvanus P Thomsons' Calculus made easy book.

Any ideas?

It's a first order linear ODE, do you know about the integrating factor method?

tiny-tim said:
Hi Wardlaw! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Both your answer and the one in the book are obviously wrong (3e-2t ≠ 0 when t = 0). :frown:

Are you looking at the right answer?

Sorry, you are wrong! I would advise you check the answer.

Feldoh said:
It's a first order linear ODE, do you know about the integrating factor method?

I already know that! How do you do it?

"I already know that! How do you do it? "

Wardlaw calm down.

This ODE is of a type called seperable. These are the easiest ODE's to solve.

Simply rewrite the equation as

di + 2i = sin(3t) dt

Now integration both sides.

Thanks
Matt

CFDFEAGURU said:
"I already know that! How do you do it? "

Wardlaw calm down.

This ODE is of a type called seperable. These are the easiest ODE's to solve.

Simply rewrite the equation as

di + 2i = sin(3t) dt

Now integration both sides.

Thanks
Matt

That is not correct. The way you have written it you should have written di + 2i dt = sin(3t) dt, which is not separated.

Anyways, OP, even if this isn't homework you must first show what you've tried. The integrating factor method is simple - you multiply the equation by some function f(t), and pick f(t) such that the left hand side becomes d(i f)/dt. If you expand d(i f)/dt using the product rule what do you get? If you compare this to your original ode multiplied by f(t), do you see what condition f(t) must satisfy to be able to write the left hand side in the desired form?

Yes, you are correct. I apologize for this mistake.

Thanks
Matt

Two threads with same question merged. Thread moved to Homework Help. Even if the question is for self-study, it should be placed here.

Must multiply left and right hand sides by e^2t. After integration you get e^2t/13(2sin(3t)-3cos(3t))+c. Substitute i=0 when t=0 and c=3/13. Answer given by Silvanus P Thomson is i=1/13(2sin(3t)-3cos(3t)+3e^-2t. My question is where does the minus come from in the 2t?

No offence meant to anyone. Just getting a bit frustrated :rofl:

Hi Wardlaw! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
Wardlaw said:
Must multiply left and right hand sides by e^2t. After integration you get e^2t/13(2sin(3t)-3cos(3t))+c.

hmm … if only you'd write it all out properly, you'd probably have spotted the mistake during your first post :rolleyes:

"After integration", you got ie2t = ie2t(2sin(3t)-3cos(3t))/13 + C,

so i = … ? :smile:

Just for solving the integral I got:

[tex]i=-2it - \frac{1}{3} cos(3t)[/tex]

What is so special about this integral?

Regards.

Wardlaw said:
di/dt+2i=sin3t
Дьявол said:
[tex]i=-2it - \frac{1}{3} cos(3t)[/tex]

Дьявол, you can't integrate 2i and get 2it … i is a variable. :rolleyes:

tiny-tim said:
Дьявол, you can't integrate 2i and get 2it … i is a variable. :rolleyes:

UUps... I missed that. I thought i=[itex]\sqrt{-1}[/itex].

Regards.

In addition to being a first order equation, this is a "linear equation with constant coefficients" and the standard method for such equations can be used.

First, separate out the "homogeneous part" which is di/dt+ 2i= 0. "Try" a solution of the form [itex]i(t)= e^{kt}[/itex]. Since now [itex]i'(t)= ke^{kt}[/itex] the equation becomes [itex]ke^{kt}+ 2e^{kt}= 0[/itex]. Since [itex]e^{kt}[/itex] is never 0, we can divide through by it and get the "characteristic equation" k+ 2= 0 which gives k= -2.

Now you can check that [itex]i(t)= Ce^{-2t}[/itex] satisfies di/dt+ 2i= 0.

It can be shown that any solution to the original equation is that general solution to di/dt+ 2i= 0 added to any single solution to entire equation. Try i(t)= Acos(3t)+ Bsin(3t) and determine A and B so that it satifies the original equation.

Or you could be really fancy and use laplace transforms, which are frequently a little bit easier cause you include the initial conditions earlier and are less likely to have arithmetic mistakes.

sI(s)-i(0)+2I(s)= 3/(s^2+9)

sI(s)-0+2I(s)=3/(s^2+9)

(s+2)I(s)=3/(s^2+9)

I(s)=3/(s+2)(s^2+9)

from here all you have to do is decompose the partial fraction and do an inverse Laplace transform. If you never heard of these before, you'll learn about them later in your studies of differential equations (I like them a lot more than all other methods).

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves an unknown function and its derivatives. It relates the rate of change of the function to the function itself. It is commonly used to model natural phenomena in the fields of physics, engineering, and economics.

2. How do you solve a differential equation?

The method for solving a differential equation depends on its type and order. Some common methods include separation of variables, integrating factors, and using series solutions. In general, the goal is to find an expression for the unknown function that satisfies the given equation.

3. What is the difference between an ordinary differential equation and a partial differential equation?

An ordinary differential equation (ODE) involves a single independent variable, while a partial differential equation (PDE) involves multiple independent variables. ODEs are typically used to model one-dimensional systems, while PDEs are used for systems that vary in multiple dimensions.

4. Why are differential equations important in science?

Differential equations are important in science because they allow us to describe and predict the behavior of complex systems. They are used to model everything from the motion of objects to the growth of populations to the spread of diseases. By solving differential equations, we can gain a better understanding of the world around us.

5. Are there any real-world applications of solving differential equations?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of solving differential equations. For example, differential equations are used in engineering to design structures and machines, in physics to study motion and forces, in economics to model financial markets, and in biology to understand the behavior of living organisms. They are also used in fields such as chemistry, ecology, and meteorology.